Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

A tool for meauring Response to a User request time

Hi all,

Just a simple tool question:
    My mission is to test performance of client-side Web Application. As part of this, I need to measure the application Response to a User request time. Currently, the job is to be done manually (out of luck of money. If anyone can suggest a free tool that simulates user activity in a web application, you are welcome to do so).
    To do that, I need a tool to measure the time from clicking on a GUI button to the screen display. i.e., I need a simple timer application to measure times. Can anyone suggest such a tool?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: A tool for meauring Response to a User request time

One word: Stopwatch
    Roland Stens

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Not that difficult to implement with AutoIt V3, a free scripting tool you can pick up from ZDNet. I can also suggest some free monitor tools that are available, but I cannot think of the names just now. Look around on ZDNet and remember that they don't always use the titles that we might look for in a testing context.
    Frits Bos, PMP
    frits_bos@hotmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

web page /purchase.html

This may be what you're looking for, 49.00 for a single user license, well worth it!
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Okay, one question: How many people will be using this web application?

If it's a few, no problem--the stop watch is probably your best choice. If you have hundreds or thousands of users, you're going to need a real performance testing tool and load up your back-end infrastructure. The response times of the GUI can vary dramatically when you put the infrastructure under load.

Okay, one more question: How will your users access this web application--on a local LAN or via the internet? If it's via the internet, how many different connection speeds are you willing to test? (that was another question, I know [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )
    Nate

[ 03-03-2005, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: nathan.white ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Sounds to me like the app is already in production. If this is the case then I would have to agree that a stop watch is probably your best bet!

You could use a tool to run through the application and record the response times for you. However, if you do not need to generate load then why bother with the expensive of that? (Even if the tool is free you still have to learn how to use it properly and create and maintain the scripts.) Or is this more of a monitoring job i.e. do you have to constantly monitor the app to make sure it's OK? If so, then do a search for free perf monitors - I'm sure there are plenty.

If you do have to generate the load, then you could try open source tools like OpenSTA and JMeter. They do not record the time it takes to get the received data displayed to the user, but this can be estimated, and estimations are usually fine. But again, this is more than likely less accurate than a stop watch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thank you all for your clarifications and recommendations.
    The application is a LAN application, and should serve a few users in parallel only, so my problem is not the network but the application respond times. To measure this, I need a free simple timer application that would stay on-focus at all times. the Stopwatch seems to meet these requirements (except the stay-on thing).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Try this link...

http://directory.google.com/Top/Comp...nt/Monitoring/

There are lots of products and services listed here (low cost and free) for keeping track of performance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

This is probably a little more complex than what you are looking for (and won't include rendering time), but I use this setup for monitoring web application response over time:

http://www.webinject.org/mrtgplugin.html

-Corey
    Corey Goldberg
    Homepage: goldb.org
    Twitter: twitter.com/cgoldberg
    Google+: gplus.to/cgoldberg