Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Loadtesting with winrunner

hi,

We got a task of performing load test using Winruuner. We would like to know whether it is possible to achieve this without Loadrunner.
    if yes, can u give us the solution

thanks in advance,
    sri

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Loadtesting with winrunner

WinRunner is used for automated testing of an application to check for its functionality. LoadRunner is used for checking the load, performance of an application along with the amount of volume a system can handle.

Hence, one cannot load test using WinRunner.

Thanks

Essar

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by Essar:
    WinRunner is used for automated testing of an application to check for its functionality. LoadRunner is used for checking the load, performance of an application along with the amount of volume a system can handle.

Hence, one cannot load test using WinRunner.

Thanks

Essar
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Actually one could,even without the use of it with loadrunner, I am assuming only WinRunner is available here, however: it would be impractical, inappropriate,likely to be expensive,inaccurate and would require support with additional tools.

It is concievable that one could execute the tests from a number of machines, by executing functional paths that result in transactions with some kind of scheduled job and monitor the performance and record it and verify it from additional monitoring tools placed in the network and on the servers.

It would however be more advisable to identify and utilise a tool architected and built for this function. Using WinRunner to Load test is like using a hammer to put in a screw.

I have three words that apply here: Context, Context, Context.

[ 01-10-2005, 12:02 AM: Message edited by: neill_mccarthy ]
    ------
    Regards,
    Neill McCarthy
    Agile Testers of the World UNIT!

For more contextual Musings visit http://www.testingreflections.com/ and now at http://www.sqablogs.com/neillmccarthy/
    ---

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Actually one can load test using WinRunner, hence the availability of a GUI Virtual User. It does have it's drawbacks.
    </font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">You still need a LoadRunner licence, one for the appropriate number of users you intend to test with</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">WinRunner tests are more complex to build and maintain than are LoadRunner API-level tests for "most" environments</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">You will need [literally] tons of hardware, one virtual user per OS instance. You may be able to consolidate some of these instances onto a Citrix, VMWare or Terminal Server box, but the size and cost of those boxes may outstrip the cost and size of the smaller less expensive computers.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Nightmarish execution scenarios and hair-pulling analysis sessions. Every new item involved in your testbed constitutes another point of potential failure and performance degradation you may have to explain due to differences in stalled hardware and software. A couple of hundred GUI virtual user load test is just an accident waiting for an opportunity.</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">
    Regards,

'Pulley
    ... a change agent
    James Pulley

Replace ineffective offshore contracts, LoadRunnerByTheHour. Starting @ $19.95/hr USD.

Put us to the test, skilled expertise is less expensive than you might imagine.

Twitter: @LoadRunnerBTH @PerfBytes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The goal of performance test, well at least were I work, is to load and/or stress test the application infrastucture. This does not include testing the client box.

The only time we entertained launching Winrunner scripts from Loadrunner was if we had no other means of executing the underlying function calls or APIs invoked from the front end GUI application. If possible, I would suggest developing LR scripts that call the APIs directly rather then using Winrunner. It required getting ahold of the API specfications (and a developer to actually do the work) but you do save bucks on hardware.

If you really really must go through the GUI application...

1) Get access to a Citrix server.
    2) Install GUI application on the terminal server.
    3) If you have LR licence to Citrix_ICA protocal, write your Citrix scripts and launch them from LR.

If you do not have the licence (but do have access to a terminal server) we were successful with using SmClient application to simulate users executing the GUI. From Loadrunner, we launched serveral virtual users running the SmClient script (to generate a load)and one Winrunner script (to capture the transaction response time under load)....

... yeah, your better off creating LR scripts that call the APIs directly.

Sorry,

Karim

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

What exactly is the goal of your performance test? As stated earlier, most performance tests are designed to stress the backend infrastructure and not the client (though I get repeated requests to test Excel spreadsheets reading local files--can you say stopwatch?). You may be able to use free tools such as OpenSTA to accomplish your goal.

We have used Rational SQA to do a performance test of a thick client that used a proprietary, 3rd-party protocol. There were only about 200 users of the system and we were able to generate a production-load with about 20 machines. Gathering and correlating the data was fun and exciting!!! Repeating the test has been even more fun, but this was the only way we could drive the servers supporting the application. We were able to find some bottlenecks, but the fun and excitement were somewhat painful. I would expect that any test you do with WinRunner would have similar pain and aggravation. If you have any sizeable user base, it's probably not a good idea though. You would have to very carefully analyze the load you put on the test servers and ensure it was similar to a production load.
    Nate

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I have heard that people had great success combining regular load tests (though LR or something similar) with several machines running Automated GUI tests at the same time. The results form the GUI tests were used to validate the load test results. The GUI test results could be closer to the real end-user experience as they fully include the delays on the workstation (with the system, the browser etc.).

I am keen on trying this out myself sometime in the future.
    Roland Stens

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Roland....try it now [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] LOL

Seriously though, I think that this just replaces the 'normal' verification that your load tests are doing what they are supposed to be doing, but there is nothing wrong with that IMHO [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    You've got a problem? We'll make it worse &lt;img border=0 title= alt=[Wink] src=wink.gif /]

Providing Quality Assurance for over 15 years

www.andystaves.net www.zincweb.co.uk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Actually, I have never tried load testing without a proper software product like LoadRunner simply because most tools don't have the ability to get me the statistics I need to analyze the results of ramping up the load on an application. I would think that you complicate your life if you try it without the proper tools.

Now, you can put a load on the application with almost any testing tool and run several instances if necessary from different clients, just to see that the application stands up to the load. I am not sure how I could extrapolate from that what I can count on in terms of capacity reserves. If it is possible to do an effective job, if someone is able to shed some light on that, I think that may be interesting. I have some measurement tools but they don't provide anywhere near the details that I get from LoadRunner.
    Frits Bos, PMP
    frits_bos@hotmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

We did an interesting test with WinRunner not too long ago. We were asked to help with a performance test of an Aspect ACD Call Center solution. They were going to generate calls with Hammer (Empirix, I think) and route them to desktops in the lab equipped with a WinSet box. We used WinRunner on the desktops to capture a screen pop with the incoming call information (normally handled by a customer service rep), handle the call, then dispatch and wait for the next call.

The requirement was simply to handle a specific number of calls per hour. They didn't want any performance information from us, they just wanted to be able to throw the calls at the desktops with their Hammer tool and have WinRunner replace the "real users" in handling the calls.

Since the requirements were so basic and simple, we didn't want to incur the cost of buying GUI Vusers for LoadRunner. We had the WR licenses, and were able to meet the needs of the project! It was a fun diversion!!
    Laura Scharp
    SoCalGal - Defender of end user response times!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast