Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Renaming a workspaces caused e-manager failure

Good day.

I just troubleshot a problem where renaming workspaces caused an e-Manager automated job failure that e-Manager couldn't explain.

What happened:
    1. I created a workspace, created some scripts in it, and created a job that has run overnight for a year.
    2. I renamed the workspace in which the scripts and job appear.
    3. I created a new script in the renamed workspace.
    4. In e-Manager, I added the script to the overnight job.

The next day, the job failed to complete starting and e-Manager didn't run the jobs following it. I tried testing the job through e-Manager, but it showed a message indicating that it was starting, and nothing else.

I cracked open e-Tester eventually and realized one opened a job through the Open... menu command and not the Job> submenu. e-Tester threw up a dialog box that said it couldn't open the job since it contained scripts in different workspaces.

That is, although e-Tester had altered the name of the workspace, it hadn't shared that information with the jobs, and the applications weren't intelligent enough to pick it up. Instead, the job failed without any message in e-Manager and caused the rest of the jobs to fail. Investigating in the application where the jobs failed yielded no information for troubleshooting.

As a result, I had to remove the scripts in the job that had the old workspace name and add them back into the job to get it to work.

Another one of the little gotchas in the Empirix suite. In my experience, it's pretty rife with them for a piece of software targeted to QA professionals, but there you go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Renaming a workspaces caused e-manager failure

Well if you think about it, doesn't the application have to build a reference to the files it needs in order to execute them off a schedule? I would imagine changing a file path that told emanager where to look would end up in the job not playing? It is kind of like saying I changed where I stored my images on my web application now they are not showing up in my browser because I didn't edit the relative paths. Empirix does have a few bugs here an there but I am willing to give them a pass on something like this. A better option might be to do what we did and move to eManager Enterprise, that way the scripts are all stored in the database and the task scheduler has no problem finding them.