Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Scripts Pass in Etest and Fail in Eload

There are some simple 3 page navigation scripts which run perfectly in etest without data banks but in e load they run for 1 user and can go upto max 4 or 5 vusers and above that the script fails, all the Vusers start to fail !! empirix support is not much help !!

errors like server busy,navigation fail and internal errors show up . Could some one throw some light on these such as any special settings while migrating scripts form e test to eload or any other ideas would be of great help

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Scripts Pass in Etest and Fail in Eload

What version of E-test Suite are you using? Also your stating in e-load that it can go up to 4 or 5 VUs? How fast are you running the users? Are you running them at default setting or no delay?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

version eload 6.82

Tried with delay in V user script as recorded and also without delay (checked that option in settings)

Coming to how fast I tried start all V users till iteration count of say 5 or 4 or whatever number, also tried Ramp up after 2 sec or 3 sec gap and others. All these options above works well for 2 or 3 or max 5 Vusers then they fail in iterations and abort !!

These scripts start popping these errors as I mentioned before after hardly 2 iterations and they abort due to these errors .

Also tried adding vusers on the fly say 1 once and after it ran well added one more and one more, runs for 3 to 4 V users but they start to fail for more than 7 Vusers. The error is consistent

tried with and without download manager .. but how abt IP spoofing !! is it necessary for 3 machines ( 2 agents and 1 controller)

Is this something with the my test infrastructure or tool related issue ... Iam completely lost !!
    Does this tool have any such abberations like these ...

Is there any extra programming effort required or any special settings for test environment or is it necessary for network to be free at the time when we run these tests .. I cant think of the exact problem again .. any ideas/ help would be greatly appreciated !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

wow, OK, let's take a step back here so I can try to understand what is going on. There are several reasons why a script could start show errors in e-Load. It could be a scaling problem, a script problem, a data problem or some other type of issue. Let's start at the beginning. Can the script iterate over the databank in e-Tester? If it can then we know the data is sound. The next step is to run the similar tests in e-Load with one vu running with recorded data, if that works then run a test with one vu iterating over the databank. If it works great! Then our script is sound if we get a fail to find or something on any iteration then we know we have script problems related to the databank. At any rate we can look at the script.

OK if our script test works then we should try simple concurrency. Just run two vus and see what happens. If they iterate successfully then start scaling the users up. If errors start to appear then look to your application for reasons why.

Anyhow, try the tests above and write back and tell the rest of us what went on. We can probably help more when we have more data!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Anyone have a follow-up with this?

I have a similar problem where my tests run fine in e-Tester, but do not even work for 1 user in e-Load. I am seeing navigation errors.

One thing that I am thinking is that the naviagtion is dependent of executing JavaScript code. Out of the box, e-tester did'nt work until I had it set up to capture extra events on scripts. Is there something magical that I need to set on the e-load side as well.

Here's what my scripts basically do

1 script - Login - used in prologue.
    From a login page, enter user/password info
    Hit login.

1 script - Search - Used in the run section. Uses a databank.
    From a "home page"
    Navigate via JS menu to a search page.
    Execute a search.
    Go back to the "home page".

1 script - Logout - at the end.
    hit the logout button.
    ----
    Looking at the e-load logs, it can't execute any part of the "Search" script. It fails to find the proper window for some reason. I'm thinking it never executed the JavaScript, so its at the wrong page. At least that is what appears to be happening from looking at the VU display.
    It Depends.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by QA_Professional:
    version eload 6.82

Tried with delay in V user script as recorded and also without delay (checked that option in settings)

Coming to how fast I tried start all V users till iteration count of say 5 or 4 or whatever number, also tried Ramp up after 2 sec or 3 sec gap and others. All these options above works well for 2 or 3 or max 5 Vusers then they fail in iterations and abort !!

These scripts start popping these errors as I mentioned before after hardly 2 iterations and they abort due to these errors .

Also tried adding vusers on the fly say 1 once and after it ran well added one more and one more, runs for 3 to 4 V users but they start to fail for more than 7 Vusers. The error is consistent

tried with and without download manager .. but how abt IP spoofing !! is it necessary for 3 machines ( 2 agents and 1 controller)

Is this something with the my test infrastructure or tool related issue ... Iam completely lost !!
    Does this tool have any such abberations like these ...

Is there any extra programming effort required or any special settings for test environment or is it necessary for network to be free at the time when we run these tests .. I cant think of the exact problem again .. any ideas/ help would be greatly appreciated !!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Okay, interesting....

Just to make sure you have done this correctly:
    First thing make sure you can have 1 Vuser run through the site in E-load.

Second run another test with 1 Vusers on each box that you will be running load off.

If the last test works fine then try running 2 users on each box seperately. If that is fine then your script can handle multiple Vusers fine.

The next thing you may to look at is the hardware.
    Watch all the stats on all boxes in the environment, because you may be flooding resources somewhere in your environment(ie processors peg or a system runs out of memory...I have seen lots issues with this especially with no delay because the load generation boxes are trying to run the Vusers through the script as fast as possible which floods resources on the box quickly and this generally isn't a "real-world" situation)

If that isn't it you may want to try a different application to see if its tha application or not.

I would highly recommend taking an engineering approach to this and try to change only one thing at a time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by alanark:
    Anyone have a follow-up with this?

I have a similar problem where my tests run fine in e-Tester, but do not even work for 1 user in e-Load. I am seeing navigation errors.

One thing that I am thinking is that the naviagtion is dependent of executing JavaScript code. Out of the box, e-tester did'nt work until I had it set up to capture extra events on scripts. Is there something magical that I need to set on the e-load side as well.

Here's what my scripts basically do

1 script - Login - used in prologue.
    From a login page, enter user/password info
    Hit login.

1 script - Search - Used in the run section. Uses a databank.
    From a "home page"
    Navigate via JS menu to a search page.
    Execute a search.
    Go back to the "home page".

1 script - Logout - at the end.
    hit the logout button.
    ----
    Looking at the e-load logs, it can't execute any part of the "Search" script. It fails to find the proper window for some reason. I'm thinking it never executed the JavaScript, so its at the wrong page. At least that is what appears to be happening from looking at the VU display.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">The E-load failed to find navigation means that it either went to the wrong page or could find the button/link it was suppose to select.

I am trying to remember, I think there was a checkbox on the address page they had us check to handle javascript buttons and links, I will have to look through some notes and see if I can find it again. You may want to just call their support line as it could be something different as well. (I guess there support staff has been swamped lately and they have a bunch of new staff so they have been slow to respond and sometimes I have found that some of the new people don't know what they are talking about or can't give an explanation of why it works the way it does)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Regarding the navigation message go to navigation editor and try making the URLS static. If there is any thing in you application that is static, but etester sometimes recoginses them as dynamic change them to static - I cannot think of any other way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for the replies so far - they were really helpful. Figured out that the tool is normal and the app had a problem.