Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

gateway cannot be initialized error

Hi,

I have just downloaded version 1.4.3 of OpenSTA and have installed it on Windows XP Professional SP2 with Internet Explorer Version 6.0. I connect to the internet via a dial-up connection.

However, when I open the modeler to capture a script, with the dial-up connection on, the modeler does not open the browser and after about 5 minutes throws up a dialog box with the error "startGateway: cannot initialize the gateway" followed by a dialog box saying the gateway could not start.

I have tried the following things already:

1. In the dial-up settings checked the "Use proxy server" option and provided the name and port number. The problem is that with this setting, the dial up is not connecting to the internet at all.

2. In the modeler, options > gateway, set the administrative ports to port numbers that are not being used by the system....did that based on one of the mails posted in this forum.

3. Reverted these changes and tried to run the modeler.

I would like to know if the installation is in error or is there some setting that I have seriously overlooked.

Regards
    Swati

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: gateway cannot be initialized error

Originally posted by swatik:
    I connect to the internet via a dial-up connection.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">What sort of load testing are you going to be doing over a dial-up connection? You do know that OpenSTA is intended for load testing, don't you?

There have been numerous reports of problems getting an OpenSTA installation setup for use with dial-up network interface. I don't think any of them have been seriously investigated because it doesn't make a lot of sense to use OpenSTA in this way.
    However, when I open the modeler to capture a script, with the dial-up connection on, the modeler does not open the browser and after about 5 minutes throws up a dialog box with the error "startGateway: cannot initialize the gateway" followed by a dialog box saying the gateway could not start.

I have tried the following things already:

1. In the dial-up settings checked the "Use proxy server" option and provided the name and port number. The problem is that with this setting, the dial up is not connecting to the internet at all.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">This doesn't make much sense to me. I'm not sure why you would want to do this, if you are expecting auto dial-up to work, what is failing, or what you are hoping to achieve... Perhaps if described your intention and the outcome clearer.
    2. In the modeler, options &gt; gateway, set the administrative ports to port numbers that are not being used by the system....did that based on one of the mails posted in this forum.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Were the admin ports being used by other processes on your machine? If you don't know the answer to this then you shouldn't really have touched them.
    3. Reverted these changes and tried to run the modeler.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Aha! the old hope it's going top fix itself by magic - my bet is that this didn't work, but you don't tell us [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
    I would like to know if the installation is in error or is there some setting that I have seriously overlooked.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">I doubt there is any serious error in the installation - there could be problems with your goals for this tool but that's another issue entirely [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get OpenSTA recording to work if you read through the FAQ in my sig very carefully and make a serious attempt to actually understand what is happening in the process of recording HTTP with the OpenSTA Gateway.

Good Luck
    Daniel Sutcliffe
    OpenSTA part-time Caretaker - http://OpenSTA.org/