Thread: Collectors

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Collectors

As long as we're working through all the problems I have been having, I thought it would be interesting to start a thread on Collectors. When I add an NT collector, I follow the instructions in the documentation and try to browse for a query. I select it and then click ok and it doesn't seem to do anything. Then I try to enter one manually in the following format: "\\servername\processor\% processor time" and this doesn't seem to work either. Am I missing sometihing? I'm sure others are having the same problem. Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Collectors

It looks like I might be the only one having trouble with the collectors based on the replies, or lack of...

I did some digging and found out why it wasn't working properly. I'll post the solution in case anyone has this problem in the future:

On the collectors, everything can be selected my using the mouse. The only time I have needed to enter anything by hand has been to name the query with a machine name where there is more than one target. Double click or ok should work.

It is possible to type them in by hand but this is slow and error prone.

The problem I had initially was admin rights on the target - the user name I had logged onto my Opensta host had to be an administrator on the target server in order to access the performance process remotely. I could see the counters but could not use then as I was a domain user, not an administrator on the target.

I also had erros when trying to add collectors on an XP machine. It worked on a Win2K machine fine. TRy to stay away from using XP as a host machine if you can.

I have found that OpenSTA occasionally does stop working in certain areas - usually displaying result, but the cure is to run the repair option on the install, reselect the repository.

Hope this helps!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks so much for sharing your findings. I tried to figure it out myself, but was not successful. Your info definitely helped!

Thanks!!!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I also found out this information about the custom NT Collectors that I thought would help some folks:

All the NT performance monitor counters can be show graphically (the default) or in a tabular (text) format. To see text, just type control + r to see the tabular report. Right mouse on the output and select properties. Under the General tab, choose average, min, max etc to determine how the data is summarized. this way you can export the data to Excel or any other graphing program and generate your own reports.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for the information on Collectors. I have been trying to get them to work on a WinXP machine with absolutely no luck, but apparently it is a problem with XP (and not me).

If you or anyone has had any success using Collectors on XP since the time of the original posting, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Laura

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Laura,

Make sure you have the latest service pack installed. I'm not sure if this fixes the Collectors issue, but I know it fixes a bunch more problems.

[ 05-28-2003, 07:38 AM: Message edited by: Papa Perf ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

hi, has anyone had any success with this Issue yet?? May 2003 [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] ... gosh i'm openin up a really old Thread but.. i just downloaded "ostaw32-x86-1402" which was working fine till i reached the Collectors part... i just cant create any Queries .... if anyone's worked out an work around for this.. plz lemme know

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Known problem on XP - it's in the FAQ:
    http://portal.opensta.org/faq.php?topic=NtPerfProblem

Fixed in the upcoming 1.4.3 release.
    Daniel Sutcliffe
    OpenSTA part-time Caretaker - http://OpenSTA.org/