Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Can OpenSTA can be used for load testing of EJB component?

Hi Guys,
    My test group will be implementing load testing of EJB banking components and I'm evaluating tools.
    Do any of you know if OpenSTA can be used for load testing of EJB components or is it just for http protocol?
    Thanks,
    Ross.

------------------
    Ross Ryan
    rossryan@ireland.com
    Ross

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Can OpenSTA can be used for load testing of EJB component?

Ross,

OpenSTA currently only supports HTTP, I have used it to 'system' test EJBs within Borland Application Server by making the http requests to the Webserver (Tomcat in this case) which in turn will invoke the EJBs.

If you want to do integration testing of a specific EJB before it is incorporated into a full system then you should look at other tools.

Regards

Ian

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Ross,

I can't speak on the OpenSTA products, but you may want to take a look at Bean-test by Empirix. I think this is by far the best EJB testing tool out there. The test case generation is so good that we may have moved our EJB testing to the QA group to leave the developers free to develop. Beware that Bean-test is not free.

I stole the following from the Bean-test forum here: The Bean-test review is available at the following location: http://www.apexcgi.com/download.html

I think this review pretty much tells you what Bean-test is all about.

-jason

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Jason & Ian,

We've already checked out Empirix and appreciate its advantages especially at invoking java methods directly for load testing. But it's expensive and we're investigating the most cost effective solution. I think LoadRunner also does this but supports more than just EJBs.

We've developed a tool inhouse that can automatically create simple front ends (JSPs)from java beans. So we could use OpenSTA's http calls to drive EJB testing through the application server as Ian suggested to measure load. Unsure as of yet.

Cheers,

Ross.

------------------
    Ross Ryan
    rossryan@ireland.com

[This message has been edited by Ross (edited 11-23-2001).]
    Ross