Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Can I run scripts for a locally installed applicat

Hi,

I have recently installed openSTA and have used it to generate scripts/graphs for some http sites.

1.The problem is that teh other team is preparing a tool with java swing technology which will be an executable jar and it will be installed locally on our machine.

Is there any way I can recored the script by running it on the browser giving a path as D:/xyz.jar.

2.Other thing is that I guess I can still use the NT Coolector as it calls for teh address of the web server.If I specify the WEb server ip ,I can still measure the performance parameters for this 'standalone'application
    Am I correct?

Please help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Can I run scripts for a locally installed applicat

[ QUOTE ]
    1.The problem is that the other team is preparing a tool with java swing technology which will be an executable jar and it will be installed locally on our machine.

Is there any way I can recorded the script by running it on the browser giving a path as D:/xyz.jar.

[/ QUOTE ]

OpenSTA records http traffic and plays it back. Pointing it at a local jar file will cause it to retrieve the contents of the jar file, but the contents are then ignored. Look at your scripts. See that every page you hit is recorded as well as every file it references (.js,.jpg,etc). The reason your script is so verbose is because it has to be. Never assume OpenSTA is doing anything browser like that is not explicitly coded in the script (e.g. like running code from a .jar file)

[ QUOTE ]
    2.Other thing is that I guess I can still use the NT Collector as it calls for the address of the web server.If I specify the WEb server ip ,I can still measure the performance parameters for this 'standalone' application
    Am I correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can specify the IP address in the collector dialog. When adding the collector, click on "browse queries" and enter \\ followed by the ip address. Or, you can just put a bogus name like ServerToMonitor and then add an entry to your /etc/hosts file that maps the name ServerToMonitor to an IP address.