Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Response Time skyrockets after roughly 500VUs?

Anyone else notice this using OpenSTA? My setup:
    XP machine for OpenSTA and SQL Server
    VirtualBox VM (on same machine) running Win2003 running IIS/ASP.Net app

I checked CPU, memory usage, and network sockets on both machines and there is nothing too obvious. The XP machine has a bunch of sockets in the TIME_WAIT state but I set the registry value to increases the #socket ports from 5K to 32K and I also set the TimeWaitTimeout to 60sec instead of the default 240sec. I also tried disabling the SYNACK attack prevention feature in Win2003. In the Win2003 web site, the connections are unlimited.

In the OpenSTA error logs, I get a lot of error for 10060 (connection attempt failed) and "no data available for connection", so it seems to be some sort of network connection issue.

One other weird thing is I can't ping the VM and the VM can't ping my machine. It's like all network access has locked up between the two. Doing a netstat -b from the VM shows no sockets being used. It's like Win2003 thinks it's under a DOS attack from OpenSTA and shuts down the entire networking stack and I've dug through a bunch of articles on the net that tell me how to turn on the DOS attack defense features, but I really want to turn them off...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

it was VirtualBox

Now that's the weirdest behavior I've seen. Looks like it was VirtualBox that caused this.

I did the same test w/ VMWare and it doesn't scale up as quickly w/ simultaneous VUs (you have to add more users per batch while VirtualBox didn't need as many users per batch to scale Active VUs).
    I managed to get VMWare up to 810ish VUs (1000 users, 45 users/batch, 3sec delay/batch) before OpenSTA started crapping out on me (the test stopped, but the result display zero records).
    In comparison, I only got VirtualBox up to 410is VUs before it blew out the networking layer :-P

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

one other quirk w/ VMWare

You have to ping from the VMWare VM back to your host or the host interface layer shuts down (you can't ping from from your Windows XP host to the VMWare VM running Win2003).

VirtualBox didn't have this quirk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: one other quirk w/ VMWare

One other chuckle...I got it to go up to 1500 VUs when I didn't figure out the VMWare ping workaround because the network layer between my host and the VMWare VM was hung.
    When I started pinging from the VMWare VM, the network layer unfroze and all VUs started working. Unfortunately, no data was saved because of the OpenSTA saving crapping out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Response Time skyrockets after roughly 500VUs?

I think the first thing I would try is going distributed, preferably on two physical machines. If you have the problem at 1000 VUs, try running 500 on each Opensta server. IF this fixes the problem, go back to the single opensta box and monitor memory of the process TExecuter_htp.exe

If it gets near 1.5 GB, it will cause the test to abort with no indication why. Also, keep an eye on page file useage and even free disk space. You can also try setting "Number of virtual users for http results" to 0 and see if that helps (probably wont, but heck give it a if all else fails).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Response Time skyrockets after roughly 500VUs?

Memory usage isn't that bad. I only have a 2GB machine and the VM is running in a measly 384MB :-)

As you can tell, the test is fairly simple since I'm new to OpenSTA, so the IIS and MSSQL server get to cache most of the data. I'll be going distributed soon for the real testing and limiting VUs to 500 per machine.

I filed a bug report w/ VirtualBox (2.1.2). There have been quite a few reports that the new host interface driver in 2.1 has bugs that will be fixed in 2.1.4, so I'm mentioning it here in case anyone else runs into this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

not fixed in VirtualBox 2.1.4

Just a quick update, this isn't fixed in 2.1.4, so I still wouldn't use it for OpenSTA testing... :-P