Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Curious - How long do you estimate for a script?

Hi all,

I know this is somewhat rhetorical but how long do you normally allocate to develop an OpenSTA script? I'm testing a Siebel app that requires heavy correlation needed for each primary post and Get. There have been 14 key business process defined and I'm slightly concerned that it will take ages to achieve them due to time constraints.

Your comments and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
    J

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Curious - How long do you estimate for a script?

Hi J,

This really depends (there's a surprise) on why I'm doing testing.

If I'm investigating performance of particular components (code or hardware) then often my scripts are quite simple and therefore quick quick to create. I don't care about maintainability for most of them, the test data doesn't matter so much, I can often get away with just a little correlation. So anywhere from 10 minutes to 1/2 day to create these.

If I'm measuring performance then I want to create a realistic load profile through user journeys, so the scripts are more complicated. There's a good chance I'll use these scripts again in future releases so they need to be maintainable, which means I need to add comments, create functions etc.

Unless there's a very compelling reason, I try to limit the user journeys to about 5, otherwise I end up spending so much time creating and amending scripts that the time for testing and analysing results gets squeezed.

Recently I've been quoting about a day a script. Realistically it's a couple of days for the first 2 while I get to know the application, and then the final 3 are much shorter, but usually a day each works for me.

Don't forget to budget in maintenance on each subsequent release of the application. I've found that developers think nothing of adding a couple of hidden fields to forms, or a new stylesheet, without any idea of what that means to our scripts.

I think I answered your question somewhere in there.
    Have a nice weekend,
    Steve
    Everywhere's within walking distance if you have enough time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I used to plan for a couple of days for the first script, then 1 - 1.5 days per script after that. A lot of the work is very repetitive and tedious;
    - Tweaking wait times
    - Adding SYNC commands
    - Removing unwanted URLS (google, livesales, sites not within the 4 walls that contain the servers I am testing)
    - Deciphering obtuse URL encoded XML
    - Adding code to validate primary get/posts
    - adding debugging code

I got sick of doing all the above and wrote a VB program to do it. Takes me about 1/2 a day now for scripts requiring heavy correlation. Lite weight scripts an hour to two. I also have a library of routines that can parse tables of data that appear in HTML output into SCL arrays which saves a LOT of time.

No, this isn't a sales pitch and the tool (OpenSTA script buddy) is not for sale. I use it to create a price advantage for load testing services even with my higher labor costs here in the US. If you are going to be using OpenSTA on a regular basis, I'd highly recommend investing the time to code an automatic script editor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

John,

I guess, replies from Bernie and Steve covers most of it. But, I just wanted to add my bit.

Siebel is one of the most correlation heavy applications. I havn't done 'live' work on Siebel applications but just did a couple of POCs to drive home the point that OpenSTA can be used for performance testing of Siebel too. I must say, its quite tedious for first of your scripts to get working but as Steve puts it, once you get a hang of the application and things you need to repeatedly correlate (rowid, SWETS, SWEC, etc.) its a bit easier. 2-2.5 days for your first few (1 or 2) script(s) on a moderately customized Siebel application and 1-1.5 days for the rest of them should be a safe bet.

-regards,
    Mrigs
    <font color="blue">All limits are self-imposed.</font>

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Oh, I agree with Bernie's point about having a handy library of scripts/tools to do common things. This saves lots of time.

I have a number of vbscript scripts that do amendments. For me the driver was using search and replace to replace values on the URL with variables and then having to go back and fix all the instances where the line length was now too long.

A simple VBScript now does this for me and automatically fixes the line length.

Cheers,
    Steve
    Everywhere's within walking distance if you have enough time.

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi all,

Thanks for all of your feedback! I apologise for the late reply. I've been bed written since Saturday with a chest infection.

I will eventually have to look into writing some batch jobs to make my life easier. The behavious is still a bit confusing but am getting there slowly. If I ever manage to get a script working I shall look into doing such in due course. I'm not convinced my script is even working because the login process takes 1 seconds (including the SYnc at the end) where as manually it takes at least 3 seconds.

Mrigs - As far as I can see the correlation looks the same. I have worked on several Siebel projects in the past but all have been with LoadRunner so it's been easy peasy. Heh, I can't even get it to login [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I'll crack on with it and see what happens. I'm sure it's just the case of missing correlation....somewhere.

Kind regards,
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    Mrigs - As far as I can see the correlation looks the same. I have worked on several Siebel projects in the past but all have been with LoadRunner so it's been easy peasy. Heh, I can't even get it to login

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. Siebel is a tough animal to tame with OpenSTA; at leat, I felt so. It's been the same for me too; lots of work on Siebel with LR but no live project on it with OpenSTA. Just did a couple of POC's. It worked for me though; could go past the login and do some stuffs.

Keep us posted; all the best.

-regards,
    Mrigs
    <font color="blue">All limits are self-imposed.</font>