Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Admins - pruning and quality of this forum

Dear Administrators,
    This sub-forum contains some brilliant information, but it is diluted by many of the duplicate posts or posts that don't go anywhere. This makes it harder for new people to search and get answers and increases the likelyhood that they'll ask the question again, compounding the problem.

How much control do you have over the pruning policy here? and would there be any interest in discussing a pruning policy where posts that don't advance the sub-forum are deleted 28 days after the last reply.

I'd always wondered how Edward Tufte's forum always maintained such a high quality of posts, I read recently that they have a very harsh pruning policy. Anything that doesn't contribute to the forum in a positive way is deleted but the posters are informed why their post was deleted.

This has the effect of keeping the forum high quality and has apparently increased the quality of the posts they receive in the first place.

I realise that this forum is more of a help and answer forum rather than the discussion forum that Edward Tufte's is, but I think a policy of deleting old posts that don't improve the forum could help.

Is this worth discussing?

(P.S. This thread is a great example of one that should be deleted 28 days after the last reply).
    Everywhere's within walking distance if you have enough time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Admins - pruning and quality of this forum

Steve,

Great idea. I'll make this topic sticky, and leave it open for a week or two for comments. I will need help in identifying posts to delete, so if you have ideas for how to do this, be prepared to follow up with ongoing help to identify the posts I'll need to delete.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

As far as I know, there is no automated way to mark a post for future deletion. I wish there was, but I have no control over the inner workings of this forum. With that in mind, I am looking for volunteers to help identify posts that are candidates for deleting. Feel free to PM me or reply here to volunteer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Bernie,
    I'm not on here all that often, but I'm happy to help identify posts for deletion.

Could we use the "notify moderator" function to tell you which threads we think should be removed and why?

If the moderator agrees with the reason they could delete the thread. They could also send the reason on to the originator (but probably only do this with new threads, we wouldn't want to send someone an email for a 3 year old thread).

Cheers,
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Steve,

How long do posts tend to stay around before being deleted on the forum you mentioned?

-bv

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Bernie,
    Their site is pre-moderated so the poor entries don't make it to the forum in the first place.

Here's quite a interesting discussion from their site on moderation:
    http://www.edwardtufte.com/bboard/q-and-...ic=Ask+E%2eT%2e

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I have started deleting posts that are cluttering up the forum and provide no value to other people seeking help here.

In general, if I feel posts are unintelligible, unanswerable, show that the author has not read the prerequisite material, or I believe that the author is treating this forum as their personal assistant, they will be deleted without warning or notification.

This is a harsh step, but this value of this forum is being diluted by poor quality posts that serve no purpose and I intend to improve it.

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Also... Can we move all the sticky posts into one large sticky post at the top?

Figure one or 2 posts and then either link the other posts in them or add the content from the other sticky posts into them. That way the top of the forum looks clean and not so intimidating for people to start using [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]