Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

How To Test HandHeld Devices?

Has anyone tested , any, hand held devices?
    What are your experience? how you did testing?, setting up environment?, browsers ....

Pl. mail any documents that may help

govind/Pune/India
    Govind_b_kul@hotmail.com

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: How To Test HandHeld Devices?

Nearest I have come is testing a WAP application over Mobile phone. The biggest problems we had were to do with the phone compatibility (differing screen sizes being a particular problem) and with getting a stable test environment at the back end.

Security testing was interesting, in the early tests we found that connections were left open for others to get hold of if the line went down.

Don't know if this helps...

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Govind,

Are you referring to applications meant for handheld devices or
    the hand held devices itself?
    1)For Applications meant for Handhelds -: there are emulators available for testing them.
    2)For Handheld devices testing -: No idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

For testing the Palm OS, you can download the Palm Emulator software (POSE) from Palm.com. You will have to register with them to get the different Palm OS's, however if you already have physical devices with the OS you need to test, you can upload that OS into the emulator. This allows you to test the Palm applications on your PC. A tool called Gremlins is available within the emulator which will run through your applications opening & closing windows, adding and deleting random input of text.

As far as testing for CE devices, you can test with a CE emulator, however to do so you will need to install the whole development environment. That will require a PC with NT or 2000.

There are some tools available for WAP testings. Microsoft has a LOGO test for WAP and I believe there is a tool you can download to test for that compliance.

Hope that helps.

------------------
    -chris
    -chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Emulators do not normally give a good representation of Wireless devices. There are quirks etc that make them useful for a quick visualisation rather than a true representation of the underlying device.
    If testing WAP is the focus of the question, we (http://www.argogroup.com) are offering Monitor Master for trial, which has good device coverage in the wireless space.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi, I recently took part in a mobile phone test project .In common, when we test a phone , we usually test three aspect : User Interface test ,interoperability test and Field test .Maybe we have something in common with regard to the job contents .

------------------
    Test manager for mobile phone or PDA test project
    Test manager for mobile phone or PDA test project

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi

I have done testing on both mobile phones and PDA. We tend to use both the emulators and the devices themselves. We find the emulators are not a real indication of how the device will perform. Also regardless of all the tools available e.g ones that limit bandwidth across the network to simulate a phone connection. Ain't what they seem. So final testing must be done in the live environment.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I have had a similar experience to jenster. Although I used the Rational toolset to automate functional, performance and security tests against Blackberry RIM's and Motorola phones - as well as functional testing against Palm and WinCE Devices. To date, I have only found one minor discrepancy between emulators and the actual deveices.

It should be noted that emulators SHOULD be accurate to the mobile device, and simulators may not be.

I have an article due to be posted on the Rational Developers Network later this month on exactly this topic. If anyone is interested, please mail me directly.

Scott

------------------
    Scott Barber
    NOBLE(STAR
    Sr. Performance Engineer
    sbarber@noblestar.com
    http://www.noblestar.com
    Scott Barber
    Chief Technologist, PerfTestPlus
    Executive Director, Association for Software Testing
    Co-Author, Performance Testing Guidance for Web Applications
    sbarber@perftestplus.com

If you can see it in your mind...
    you will find it in your life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

May be this URL will be usefull ? http://www.bsquare.com/device/qasolutions/default.asp

This is the link to Quality Assurance Products for Windows® CE

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

We've just completed a project for a product that resides on the Palm OS PDAs. I we noticed numerous problems that showed up on acutal devices when compared to Pose. The main source of most of these problems were memory issues. It seems to me that regardless of the ROM image you are using, the emulator handles memory issues much more gracefully than any device. For reference, we were testing on the Treo 300, Treo 270, Treo 180 (all Handspring), the Samsung i300 and the Kyocera QCP-6035. We only used emulators for the Treos, so this may be Handspring emulator specific.

That isn't to say that there was no value in using Pose. It was very valuable in getting the project off of the ground. In the early stages of QA, we used the emulators almost exclusively to smoke out any major issues. Once the product was working at an acceptable level, we moved on to testing on actual devices. Once we went to the devices we discovered a whole new batch of problems. However, if we didn't have the emulators to test and debug with, I think the project would have taken at least another 3 weeks.

-Hnut

------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast