• 1 Post By mbalajiwale

Thread: QA for application for Iphone and Ipad

san jose, california
    Post Thanks / Like
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

QA for application for Iphone and Ipad

Hello Everyone:
    My company going to delivery a application for mobile device: Iphone and Ipad.

I need do functional testing and regressing testing for the application. The project will be ready for testing in 2-3 weeks.

the development team going to write the code using Xcode
    The Operating system for mobile device is iOS5.1
    The application is similar to a online store which has
    -login, authentication for login,
    -search items / tickets for sale,
    -order processing (check, cash, credit card payment)
    -check out page

1.I am looking for tools and browser plug-in (Chrome, FireFox, IE)and emulator/simulators for the mobile device testing. I also want to find a good tool to perform test automation.

2. what shall I consider when conduct a functional testing for the application.

For 1. I don't have Mac or a Apple laptop at work. I am using window OS at work.

1a.What kind of tools you recommend to use for testing iOS mobile devices?

I did some search in the forum. I found these tools maybe helpful
    a)Ripple (Chrome extension)-Can Ripple used to test for iOS mobile devices or its only for Blackberry device?

b)Symbian-is it only for both Nokia devices and iOS device?

c)Selenium 2 offers both iphone and android testing. They are experimental.

d)Sikuli:Sikuli is an open source equivalent of SeeTest from Experitest

e)eggPlant, the GUI based mobile application testing works across all operating systems and devices

2a.Are there any test plans / test matrix sample(s) for mobile device testing? I want to check some reference.

2b.what type of test cases show I prepare to test for log-in authentication, search items, order placement, order processing and checkout page

2c. what should I look for (find potential bugs) when testing the application (e.g. connectivity, scanning the bar-code etc)

Please give me some advises and share your insights with me. If you know the links for good knowledge bases, documentation, articles and blogs, please share with me. Thanks!

Greater Boston Area
    Post Thanks / Like
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

Re: QA for application for Iphone and Ipad

You are releasing a product for Apple OS and you don't have any device at work to do the actual testing?

The tool you need is a real Apple device - iPhone or iPad and if the company isn't going to provide you with the proper testing tools, you might seriously consider leaving this job.

Here are some links to some posts on this board and I would recommend you do a search on "iPad" and "iPhone" testing here as there is a lot of really great information:

Automated testing discussion thread

iPad simulation testing discussion - important info

Test Strategy discussion

Article on why testing on the actual device is critical. Real life examples are described.
    Going out of your comfort zone requires failure. True genius is measured by your recovery.

...Jean Ann

Post Thanks / Like
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Yagsy,
    I am in a the same position where my company is providing the requested devices but have no clue of Xcode
    Do you have any info on, what would be a good start for me

Post Thanks / Like
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi SJQA004,

Regarding point 2, below are couple of test conditions which can be tested on an I-Pad, please note these points are related to the MSTR App testing on I-Pad. I hope this will helpful and you can derive for your application from these.

1. Navigation using different gestures
    2. Visual Convenience- Tap-able
    Below are some tapping features examples-
    a. Tap on a point in map to have a tool tip
    b. Tap on a bar in a graph to view its details in same/another grid/graph

3. Consistency-
    Can check for the consistency of the representation of all objects present on app on device. Few examples:
    a. Legends on graph
    b. Colour consistency with on graphs
    c. Representation of all standard icons/links/other objects
    d. Representation for Custom icons, which are designed for a specific action

4) Interactive/easy to use/ User Friendly
    User should not asked to- (these are few examples)
    a. An open or save dialog that exposes a file hierarchy
    b. Information about the permissions status of files
    Users should not be asked to interact with files as they do on a computer. people should not be faced with anything that encourages them to think about file types or locations.
    User should allow to make the fewest possible gestures to do what they want. For example, people might scroll horizontally through a carousel of existing documents and open the desired one with a tap

5) Custom Message
    Check for clarity and preciseness of custom message set for an app on device

6) Orientation of App on device
    Check application on different orientation for it's display & completeness of view

7) Device Gestures:
    a. Swipe
    b. Pinch & Zoom

8) Interruption-
    a. Low battery notification
    b. Calendar notifications
    c. Other alerts

9) Restore Session-
    a. Device shutdown/hang
    b. Battery discharge
    c. Network goes down
    d. Other application starts
    e. Navigating to home screen/other screens

10) Executing app using multiple networks - Connect to the application on device with different networks like-using WiFi, 3G or any other network

11) Sending outputs- Print, snapshots through e-mail

12) Some NFRs

Please let me know your thoughts on the same. I hope this is useful to you.

yagsy likes this.