Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Tera Term tool and performance issues?

In testing our mobile devices, we have been using a tool called Tera Term to view what the device is doing as it is occurring at that moment. So for example, if the device is communicating to it's offsite communication server, the connection is spewed out to a window.

My question is: does anyone have any experience with Tera Term and if so, what is the consensus about the performance? Does it negate the test results because the performance affects the tests?

I am having a " discussion " with a developer and my boss is not listening to my experiences at all but only accepting the developer's point of view. This developer has only less experience than myself with this product and in particular with testing. So I'm looking for other people's experiences while I continue to do my own research.

Many thanks!
    Going out of your comfort zone requires failure. True genius is measured by your recovery.

...Jean Ann
    www.perfectpitchmarketinginc.com
    http://on.fb.me/PPM100
    www.projectrealms.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Tera Term tool and performance issues?

Hi Jean Ann,

First off, I haven't used this tool, so take this response with a pinch of salt.

My approach would be to devise a test, or series of tests, designed to measure the degree to which Tera Term interferes with performance. So for example, if you can set up a scenario where you time 1,000 transactions over a given interface without Tera Term, then repeat with Tera Term in-situ and measure the time difference. Do this with 10, 100 and 1000 transactions and you can graph the performance relationship with and without Tera Term in situ. This will most probably require writing an external test harness to automate the generation of such transactions, but this could well be a useful tool moving forward.

My experience with profilers (hardware and software) is that they generally affect performance, but this issue can be negated if it is measured and taken into account. The problem lies where the performance is skewed rather than generally degraded, as this may send you off on a wild goose chase trying to opimize something that is performant.

As always, I'd also contact the Tera Term guys directly to see what there opinion is, although it could well be biased.

Best regards,

Shane

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Shane for your input. Yes I have been trying to do that testing in between while trying to finish up my nasty deadline which was supposed to be done today and came in this morning to have the deadline extended to 3 more days but then I just found out more bugs, a serious one that has caused the deadline now pushed out a week. Ah, the life of a tester... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Going out of your comfort zone requires failure. True genius is measured by your recovery.

...Jean Ann
    www.projectrealms.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

If you're using serial connections, you can try FoxTerm instead of TeraTerm. You can get it at http://www.foxterm.net and it performs better than TeraTerm under heavy stress. With a busy connection, I noticed TeraTerm was using 18-20% of the processor while FoxTerm uses 5-12% - FoxTerm appears to update the window less than TeraTerm under heavy load. But TeraTerm is much more feature-rich than FoxTerm so if you need things like scripting or SSH TeraTerm is the way to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Peter;
    Thanks so much for the tip. I'll look into your suggestion. The problem we have been seeing is the processor usage affects the performance of our software. So I will have our developers take a look at this tool. Thanks again.

...Jean Ann
    www.projectrealms.com/