Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[US Carriers] Testing of connected features

Hello there,

My company is working in testing applications (mostly games) on mobile phones.

I face some issues in 'how to test connected features (like online servers, multiplayer rooms, downloading content, etc.) on US carriers'.
    This is not a requirement of the True Brew Testing but US carriers (like Verizon, US Cell, All Tel, Sprint, etc.) often want operator-specific features to be implemented and tested in their applications. How should it be tested, technically speaking? Do we have to connect to each carrier's network? Can we use roaming or other carriers' networks?

I hope I have been clear enough :/
    Thanks for your help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: [US Carriers] Testing of connected features

[ QUOTE ]
    Do we have to connect to each carrier's network?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm based in Europe, so I'm only guessing here, but I would test all key features against each carrier. I hit carrier based quality of service issues on some 3G testing a while back that changed not only with carrrier but also by access point. The main problem was that on basic retail APNs the service would drop through HSDPA to 3G to GPRS to zilch very quickly as soon as contention rates went up. Different APNs changed this, and also changed the range of protocols available, so most retail APNs here aren't suitable for VPNs and other more demanding networking task such as socket usage. This also varies by carrier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: [US Carriers] Testing of connected features

Thanks for your answer. Actually my question was more practical than technical.
    Let's take Verizon or USCC for instance. They often include extra features in the applications/games we use to develop (like get more games options, download more content for the game, etc.).

In order to test the functionality of these specific features, I would like to know if I have to connect to the native networks of each operator or if roaming can be ok.