Thread: Test Partner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Test Partner

We would like to have validation functions (checks) in Compuware Test Partner to accept input parameters. In other words create a test case that logs user (doctor) and call check (function) validateBanner to validate the banner for doctors name which is passed as input parameter.

Function validateBanner(String firstName, String lastName)
    {
    code to validate banner as per passed strings for first and last name

}
    Any tip how to obtain the name and last name from the login page and how do I can obtain the doctor name from the banner to proceed the with validation. Thank you...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Test Partner

What have you tried and what were the results?

If you haven't tried anything yet, why not?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Let's help and not hinder. Perhaps they do not know enough to even begin to start this sort of task - hence their question.

Assumptions:
    - This is a Web app
    - That the text is displayed in a HTMLSpan (substitute the actual container)
    - That the innertext of the containing object is formated as I have shown below. If not, then use my code as a model and change it up to satisfy your requirements.

This is straight forward:

- Using the Object Spy, get the container of the object that displays the message. This will be used in your check.
    - Now, Implement the check similar to what I have shown below:

Function validateBanner(String firstName, String lastName) boolean

If HTMLSpan("Innertext= '" & firstname & " " & lastname & "'", tpattachnowait).exists Then
    UserCheck "User Confirm", True, "User " & firstname & " exists."
    validateBanner = True
    Else
    UserCheck "User Confirm", False, "User " & firstname & " does NOT exist."
    validateBanner = False
    End If

End Function
    SirTestAlot

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    Let's help and not hinder. Perhaps they do not know enough to even begin to start this sort of task - hence their question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chuck - there was no hinderance. If the poster has no experience, then that is the answer to the "why not". Let's not make assumptions that they ask out of ignorance. There are many here who have proven otherwise.

I will ask you not to hinder. Assume innocence on the part of replies until proven otherwise.

In addition, the best way to learn is to try something and learn from your mistakes. We are not in the business of spoon feeding here. I am not in the habit of handing out code to people who will not even attempt to try something first. I am, on the other hand, very willing to help those who try to help themselves.

My questions stand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I am clearly not hindering as I provided an answer and not a virtual smack down. My response encouraged exploration by giving a largely accurate answer but also left out some detail such that they would have to noodle a bit.
    I understand your stance, though. There are many posts here that are clearly posted due to laziness. What I try to do is read the post and determine if that is the case or if the person is simply not yet skilled enough to complete the next step of the puzzle. I guess I am a bit jaded in some ways. I find this forum extremely valuable but far too often I see responses that are clearly out of frustration from the large number of posts that are due, in fact, to laziness.

So, lets not let this side topic to overide this thread.
    SirTestAlot

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Agreed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... arguing will get this one solved for sure...

D^2's questions were on the mark to request more information. The poster is obviously new (based on this being their first post) and may not be aware that more details are required to provide a solution that will address his/her exact problem. In addition, other new to the forums, such as yourself, may learn from this and provide more information when asking their own questions.

NEC, thank you for posting a possible solution based on your assumptions. Hopefully, they were correct and either provided the solution or gave new insight to the poster so that they resolved it on their own.

However, I do not see the value of the quote I posted above. You could have posted your response just as easily without the attack.
    "I think when you spread the wealth around, it's good for everybody." -- Toledo, Ohio, Oct. 12, 2008