Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Option to free/freeze mouse!!!

The use of Click function which stimulates the mouse click in TestPartner looks unreliable!!!
    Have anyone tried forcing the cursor to some other object howering over there..
    Then in this case the click will fall on the howered object not the expected object!!!
    Do anyone have a better alternative instead of Click?
    Is there any property that can freeze the mouse actions so as the playback of the TP is not affected?
    Suggestions and Solutions are welcome!!!
    Stanley

Enjoy with what you do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Option to free/freeze mouse!!!

Why would you think that this behavior is unexpected?

If, outside of testpartner, you move the mouse pointer to some other object on the screen using the cursor keys and click, would you expect Windows to click on the previous object?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

My goal is to perform a clean run time..
    but in case a mouse is moved accidentally, then I suffer the above said cause..
    So need another way or some option to stop this happen.
    Stanley

Enjoy with what you do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

While I don't see why this seems unreliable to you, from the sound of your post it looks like you want to rely more on the native methods/properties of the object you are testing. Depending on your AUT this may be possible.

For instance the following line of code uses the IE DOM anchor objects native click method rather than TP's.

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
    HTMLAnchor("Caption='Option to free/freeze mouse!!!'").Object.Click
    </pre><hr />

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for your reply,

It just happens very easily for me to be unreliable.. and I am not exactly looking for native methods/properties.. anyway help is appreciated in that area too..

The AUT is DotNet WinForms.. The object I target is click in a panel...

GUIObject("xyz").Click

would be a sample code, the panel would sound to be a button and so identified as xyz..

Any Ideas!!!
    Stanley

Enjoy with what you do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    but in case a mouse is moved accidentally, then I suffer the above said cause..

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain how the mouse "is moved accidentally".

In my experience, the mouse never moves "accidently". It moves on purpose because someone moved it or you issued instructions to move the mouse.

Doesn't sound like an unreliability issue in TP. It sounds like an issue with code or with someone interfering with the machine while TP is running the script.

If the issue is around starting the clean run and you are clicking on an icon for another application, then I will suggest that you need to work on the code that launches the application. Again, not a TP issue - just a poor choice on method used to initialize.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

During our classes on TP, we were taught
    "Click &amp; Hands Off!" where we pulled our
    hands away and just watched the screen.

On long tests, I have set aside a small piece
    of real estate at the back of my desk to
    place the mouse. Click and then cover the mouse
    with a "Do Not Disturb" sign.

Works for me.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]

Doesn't sound like an unreliability issue in TP. It sounds like an issue with code or with someone interfering with the machine while TP is running the script.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I do not stress TP is reliable, I love TP basically!! But the Click method that needs some care that I think of!!

Let me put my thoughts in different way, The object approach of record and play back should not bother about the mouse movements, isn't?
    This is not a raw recording, that the mouse movements has to be wached carefully!!

I agree Joe that "Do Not Disturb" should make that work and it is must in case of Raw Recording..
    Even in my case(no coordinates) if the mouse is not disturbed then my code is fine too.. but I expect TP to play well even if mouse is moved..
    Stanley

Enjoy with what you do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    Let me put my thoughts in different way, The object approach of record and play back should not bother about the mouse movements, isn't?

[/ QUOTE ]

When you are in what you call "object approach of record and play back", not everything is captured in the object map. Even it everything was in the object map, why should TP ignore the mouse in that case? So yes, TP still needs to bother with mouse movements. Where did you hear that "object" recording should ignore the mouse?

[ QUOTE ]
    This is not a raw recording, that the mouse movements has to be wached carefully!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Basic misunderstanding on your part on what "raw recording" does. Raw recording versus "object" recording has absolutely nothing to do with TP recognizing mouse movements during playback. The two are totally unrelated.

[ QUOTE ]
    I agree Joe that "Do Not Disturb" should make that work and it is must in case of Raw Recording..
    Even in my case(no coordinates) if the mouse is not disturbed then my code is fine too.. but I expect TP to play well even if mouse is moved..

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, misunderstanding on your part. If someone moves the mouse, then you are interfering with TP operations, regardless of the mode used to record the script.

Your expectation that TP should play well even if the mouse is moved is unfounded, unless you code your script carefully to take mouse movements into account.

If your code simply specifies a mouse click without specifying which object to click on, then indeed you have a problem with your code. You should never issue random mouse click instructions without specifying which control to click on.

Please paste a copy of code that you are having problems with so we can give you some feedback.

Let me ask you this: if you had two people working on the same machine (same keyboard and mouse) at the same time, would you expect the machine to know that if you are moving the mouse or typing that it should accept your input, but if person B happens to be the one moving the mouse, ignore the input?

If the answer is no, why would you expect TP to act any differently?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Raw recording versus "object" recording has absolutely nothing to do with the mouse. The two are totally unrelated.
    I should thank you for this statement. Can you shower some more on that!!

The code and the design I spoke in the earlier replies!!

Again

GUIObject("xyz").Click
    or
    DotNetPanel("xyz").Click

consider "xyz" as the name of the object..

If your code simply specifies a mouse click without specifying which object to click on
    No idea what sort of code you mean here, better is the code provided..
    Stanley

Enjoy with what you do!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast