Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Copying projects

I searched here but didn't find anything here. I need to copy all assets from a project to a new project, and the import doesn't seem to help as I can't indicate what Projects that I want to import to.

Anyone have any luck with this. I have a call out to compuware but it could take them a day or 2 to get back to me on this.
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Copying projects

You need to right click the asset you want to copy to another testpartner project and select duplicate. You will then get a dropdown with the different projects you can copy this asset to. Refer pic attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Just open the XML in an editor such as notepad and substitute the old project name by the new one with the help of the editors search/replace functionality. Then the import the XML in TestPartner. This will write all assets to the new project then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Both answers are correct, and both answers are incorrect, depending on the context.

If you want to copy an asset from one project to another in the same TP database, then Csaba is correct.

If you want to copy assets from a project in a TP database to a different TP database, then QATom is correct.

A simpler way to copy to a different database:
    1. Export the selected assets from the source database
    2. In the target database, rename any projects with names that will collide with names on the import.
    3. Import into the target.
    4. Move assets around via Csaba's suggestion.
    5. Delete any leftover project stuff from the import.
    6. Change the renamed projects in the target back to their original names.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

QATom - I will do that. That was my first thought, but I didn't want to mess with the xml file as the Help suggested not to as it can corrupt the file.

CSaba - That would take a while to do b/c I have a bunch of assets.

I also remembered that I could just import to my local instance of TP Db [as opposed from using the DB on server]. That thought occured to me this morning as I was stuck at home [due to 7 inches of snow].

Thanks for your feedback.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Nadia - the methodology I laid out will negate the need for you to modify the xml.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Darrel
    Funny, just not long ago I went back and carefully re-read your post and did just as you suggested.

I came back to the forum to say that I went with your methodology and my problem has been solved.

Thanks.