Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Retain user specific val after TP shutdown/restart

Is there a way to retain a value that the user enters into a form indefinately? (like in a variable?)
    I want to prompt the user for a location to store their files, and retain that information for all future runs.
    The only way that I can construe is a file on the hard drive that contains this information.
    i.e.

if fileexists(resultFile) = false then
    frmUserPrompt.show
    desiredVar = frmUserPrompt.txtUserEntry
    resultFile.writeline (desiredVar)
    end if

Any other ideas?
    Disclaimer: I am forever a newbie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Retain user specific val after TP shutdown/restart

That's the easiest way. Another way is to use environment variables but there's no advantage to be gained from this method and it's more difficult - they're discussed in a number of threads including here
    Rob

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Retain user specific val after TP shutdown/restart

I recommend saving this info to the registry. Use the SaveSetting / GetSetting / DeleteSetting commands to do this. This example sets a key, reads the value back, then deletes the key.

SaveSetting "TestPartner", "Settings", "FileLocation", "C:\Compuware\TestPartner\DataFiles"
    MsgBox GetSetting("TestPartner", "Settings", "FileLocation")
    DeleteSetting "TestPartner"
    MsgBox GetSetting("TestPartner", "Settings", "FileLocation")

Hope this helps,
    db

Edit: From what I could tell, this will be user-specific because it is stored in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings.
    Dennis Belew