Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

How to get the text of an IE message box?

Hi,

I am testing a web app, and I have a bug that triggers a JavaScript message box with an error message. After the user clicks the Ok button, the page with the server exception is shown.

I want to capture the error text shown in the JavaScript message box - TP identifies it as a Label control.

I have tried using Window("IE_message_box").text (where 'IE_message_box' is the name of the object in the object map), but I can only get the caption of the message box, in my case 'Microsoft Internet Explorer'. 'CaptureText' returns empty string.

The question is: How do I get the text of the label?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: How to get the text of an IE message box?

If captureText is returning nothing it leads me to believe you are not pointing to the correct window with your IE_message_box window. CaptureText pulls in all visible text on an object and should work in the scinario you are describing.

If you want to go down to the label level... try this:

Window("IE_message_box").attach
    theText = Label("Index=1").Caption
    ~Alias~

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: How to get the text of an IE message box?

This is probably not really portable, but for IE I managed to grab the message box text using the 'Window.Children' attribute.

Considering that an IE message box has three children - the icon, the text, and the button, - I was able to get the text of the label with an expression like the one below:

sText = Window("Caption='Microsoft Internet Explorer'").Children(2)