Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Executing on error

Hi. My question is in the next paragraph, so you can skip the rest of this one... I'm evaluating a number of testing tools and need to know if each tool has this one feature. I was sent a private message not to cross post the same question, but to post it as a general question. I don't have privileges to PM, so I am replying here. Most people do not go into a general catagory if they only know how to use one particular tool. that is why I posted to 4 different specific tool topics.

My Post:

With this tool, TestPartner, suppose when executing a test, TestPartner is coded
    to select "NY" from a list field but instead "New York" is in the list. And then TestPartner halts and prompts a message because it cannot select an item that does not exist. So you manually help out by selecting "New York".

Can you then click a button in that message box to tell the TestPartner to continue executing?

Can you also tell TestPartner to continue executing if a context sensitive error occurs (such as if an object in a line of code does not exist)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Executing on error

TestPartner is built on top of the VBA language, so you can add "On Error" and "Resume Next" commands. If you write you code to select something from a list that is not there, it will give an error, and you can trap it and handle it how ever you want.

With respect to prompting the user during the script to provide data, this could be done too, for example in your error handler you could prompt for data and then resume the script using the new data. But why would you want to do that? It defeats the purpose of automated testing. You're not usually there watching when a test runs.

Aracknid
    TestPartner:
    Current AUT running test scripts on TP 6.3 build 183, SQL 2000 DB.
    Legacy AUT running on TP 5.6.0 Build 81 and TP 6.2 build 449 with SQL 2000 DB.

Test Environment:
    TP/IE Clients on VMWare ESX 4.1 server, AUT Servers on VMWare ESX 3.5 server.

Application Under Test (AUT):
    Client/Server based, IE 7/8 interface with SQL 2005/2008 DB.

Automating with TP since August 2004.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The first thing you described (New York) is how TestPartner handles this situation out of the box. If it can't peform a command correctly it will pop up the error window asking if you want to End or Debug. While this is how most tools work... many will not give you edit capablities in debug mode meaning you can change your script to select "New York", execute that line, then continue executing the rest of the script from that point.
    ~Alias~

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

However, building on Alias's response, what you CAN do is when TP throws the error, you can manually select "New York" and move the execute pointer to the next step and continue execution.

This may or may not help the script complete, depending on if things further in the script assumed "NY" instead of "New York".