Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Dynamically changing the Control name

In web application Textbox control in one form identifying as
    HTMLTextArea("Name=Ax103789").
    But if we changed the database, the same control Name of the same form identified as different, i.e.
    HTMLTextArea("Name=Ax1020330").

So for every database these Names are changing dynamically.
    Actually these forms are developed in desktop application and used in web application after compilation of those forms.
    If is there any solution to identify them with unique name, Pls let me know.
    yani

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Dynamically changing the Control name

I've had this same problem, with listboxes. I don't think the property has actually been assigned a value in code, so it's just random junk from memory.

You can try locking onto the control using a different property, like it's ID or caption; try using the Identify tool to find an alternative property to locate the control.

Failing that, you can create an Object Map.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

if this does not help: the Index property should always work. It just enumerates the elements on the page. e.g. HTMLTextArea("Index=1") is the first one, HTMLTextArea("Index=2") the second one on the page. If the order does not change (e.g. the first one is always in the upper, the second in the lower area of the page) then this is quite a stable attribute.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Responses to both King and Tom.

If you don't have a unique property to identify the control with, doing an object map entry will not help either. All an object map does is add a layer of abstraction to the code. It doesn't change how the control is identified.

As far as always using the index property. Not in applications that I have used. That is the one property I was NEVER able to use, because indexes can and often do change with every build. Even hidden controls will change the indexes on you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi

Its working fine with 'Index' Property. But getting 'visible','Background color' properties values using 'csstext' property.If is there any other way to get visible,Background color properties of Textbox in WEBapplication, Pls Let me know

Thanks
    yani