Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Optimal config for testing in a VMWare environment

I'm wondering if anyone out there is using TestPartner to run their tests in a VMWare environment? For example, does anyone have a super machine, like a QUAD server, set up running a VM solution AND are they running many (say 8-16 or more) VM images on it all running scripts?

The reason I ask is because we are in the process of putting this into place. This is mostly for the manual QA in our company, but we are also looking at leveraging this for the automation part as well.

We have a Dell QUAD server. Recently we put one VM image on it, and on this image we installed TestPartner. We then executed our tests. We configured the VM image to only use 512 MB of memory and 1 CPU (of the 4). The tests all use IE, in which our application is built upon. There were no other clients up and running at the time.

The results show that this one client uses about 80% of the CPU. Most of the CPU usage was IE, but at times 25% was TestPartner. I assume IE is scalable and will use less CPU if there is less CPU available (and uses as much as it can if it's free). We are going to be trying to run 4 VM machines today on 1 CPU to see what happens.

Basically, my IS guy is thinking that it doesn't look like the automation lends itself kindly to the VM solution due to the fact that it's using up so much CPU. There may be many VM images up and running at the same time, most of which will not be using too much CPU since they will be used as servers for the manual testing. If I try to run automation on this QUAD at the same time, they are worried it will hog up most of the CPU.

I'm wondering what other people's experiences are like who might be doing the same or something similar.

Thanks,

Aracknid.
    TestPartner:
    Current AUT running test scripts on TP 6.3 build 183, SQL 2000 DB.
    Legacy AUT running on TP 5.6.0 Build 81 and TP 6.2 build 449 with SQL 2000 DB.

Test Environment:
    TP/IE Clients on VMWare ESX 4.1 server, AUT Servers on VMWare ESX 3.5 server.

Application Under Test (AUT):
    Client/Server based, IE 7/8 interface with SQL 2005/2008 DB.

Automating with TP since August 2004.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Optimal config for testing in a VMWare environment

Hi,

We have been doing the same thing for quite sometime now. However we dont use a huge server. We use a normal P4 machine with 4 GB RAM out of which we gave 2 GB to VMWare. We have been running 2 VmWare Images in parallel inside that.

we found out that yes VMWare uses lots of CPU when we start simultaneous images in parallel and the machine becomes very slow during that time.

Madhukar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

You also have to realize that by nature, TP is a very chatty application. It has to be in order to log results and do all the checks that typical scripts are asked to do. That sucks up bandwidth, on top of what VMWare imposes. So I would say that your IS guy isn't far off - TP is not optimized to run in a VMWare environment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

TestPartner being chatty isn't actually an issue, and the network communication was well within normal parameters. There are times when TP uses about 25% of the CPU, but in small spurts here and there. This might be because we don't use any checks or anything in the TP database, including loging. We do it all in the code and logging is done to our own database.

I'm not even really sure that TestPartner is a problem here. I'm just curious if the idea of automation running in VM is sound if IE is NOT the application under test.

MadhukarJ, are you also testing an IE based program?

Aracknid.
    TestPartner:
    Current AUT running test scripts on TP 6.3 build 183, SQL 2000 DB.
    Legacy AUT running on TP 5.6.0 Build 81 and TP 6.2 build 449 with SQL 2000 DB.

Test Environment:
    TP/IE Clients on VMWare ESX 4.1 server, AUT Servers on VMWare ESX 3.5 server.

Application Under Test (AUT):
    Client/Server based, IE 7/8 interface with SQL 2005/2008 DB.

Automating with TP since August 2004.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Aracknid,

We have been testing a Client Server Application and it was not using IE.

Madhukar.