Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Wait for Frame load in a browser ...

I am sure this must have been discussed many times in this forum and it appears that we dont have a clear solution yet on this.

My situation is like this. I have a web app that has a left navigation frame having a tree control much like a windows explorer window.

all the test cases in my app start from navigation in the left frame. What is happening is when I execute script that navigates in the left tree - browser (IE) is crashing. This is very consistent. The crash does not happen if we run the script in debug mode. Developement team was consulted and they confirmed that there is nothing wrong with app.

After some experimentation we have figured out that it is a timing related issue. TP is trying drive the AUT faster than AUT's speed of response. In all crash cases - this is common.

I explored various ways staring with raw pause for specified time, events and wait - nothing is working.

When I talked to a compware person - he told that in TP5.4 they have enhanced synchronization for web apps -hence TP will wait for app to load.

Two possible directions for solution

1. Use existing TP API or classes - I wonder why TP classes like HTMLFrame, HTMLDiv and HTMLBrowser - dont have property like "Loadcomplete" and anything that indidates event the content for that specified container is loaded or not. There seems to be little support for this TP

2. This is out of TP route. Hook up to IE object via create object and see if that supports any such wait.

I have not been very successfukl at any of above. The experimentation is ON ..

Any help/views and directions will help ...

Shrini
    Shrini Kulkarni
    Test Consultant
    Bangalore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Wait for Frame load in a browser ...

U can try out this Code as it waits for some time to load the Frame, once it get Loaded, U can proceed in executing the App.
    WaitTime = 1

Do While Not HTMLFrame("Name=", tpAttachNoWait).Exists
    Pause (1)
    WaitTime = WaitTime + 1
    if (WaitTime > 10) Then

TestLog.Comment " Time exceeds 10 seconds for finding name HTMLFrame going to Error Mode "
    Exit Do
    End If
    Loop

Next Statement....and so on, As I haven't found any such property for HTMLframe Loading ..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

We had a similar problem where IE was crashing when we were running Test Partner Scripts....
    I am not sure if it was crashing due to the same reasons as yours or something else..
    However we tried the approad below and were successful...
    You might also give it a try..

Navigae to the Registry Key:
    HKEY_Current_User\Software\Compuware\TestPartner\B rowser\LearnFrameSize

Make this Value as 0.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

KTest,

I am skeptical about any time based ( wait for 10 or 20 or 30 sec) kind of soution as it will not work in all situations.

As per your code, the script needs to exit and report "unable to proceed" if frame does not load in 10 secs. Some times our applications take more time to load some times less...

I will explore tip by Madhukar and see if it helps

Shrini
    Shrini Kulkarni
    Test Consultant
    Bangalore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I have got the solution...

It appears that a service pack installation on the top of TP5.4 has fix for this problem.

those who are in the same situation - contact compuware support and get the patch installed. No point in wasting time in figuring out programatice ways to solve the this problem considering it as a "Timing-synchronization" issues
    Shrini Kulkarni
    Test Consultant
    Bangalore