Thread: Overhead

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Overhead

I am new with test partner. What is the overhead difference between shared modules and scripts. I am trying to decide whether to break a automated test into scripts or create as shared modules.

[ 09-15-2005, 07:25 AM: Message edited by: Tanker ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Overhead

There is really nothing that needs a shared module except passing variables between scripts. They should be limited only to code that will always be used, such as logging & error handling type items since these modules must be loaded for every script. You could even implement these in standard modules and include them in each script, shared modules are just automatic for convenience.

The least amount of overhead is implementing in scripts, but that is also the least amount of reusability. Standard modules are generally the best bet since they can be included at will. Keep in mind that generally the overhead, from my observations, is only limited to loading assets and not execution. Loading a single large script will be faster then loading 10 small modules, but regardless either approach shouldn't cause you any issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Why would standard modules be better than scripts? Why are standard modules more reusable than scripts? i thought you can reuse scripts in other scripts in same project same as standard modules in scripts in teh same project?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Think of modules as of libraries where you put functions and declarations that you want to use in different scripts. You cannot execute modules by themselves.

Think of scripts as of executables that can use libraries, but cannot accept parameters.

What is more reusable depends on how you organize your code. For maintenance reasons it is preferable to use modules and scripts as stated above and not the other way around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

A module is just like a module in VB6. You can include it in multiple projects and maintian it in a single location. The limitation in test partner is that modules belong either to the same project as the asset you are attempting to include them in, or to the common project so you are limited in practical organization.

As for scripts, you can call a script from another script, but you can not call particular functions in that script and scripts do not have return values. Scripts may however be launched from the command line.

I would suggest you organize unique assets (i.e. individual test cases) in scripts, and all common functionality in modules, either standard or shared depending on their scope.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thank you for all your help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

hmm, I was planning on putting all my test cases in a module then calling these as methods of the module from the script. this allows all my test case stuff go in the module.

What do you think? Hope that's clear!