Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Does anybody know how to import file into TP database?

I know there is an export utility can export TP asset to text files. But is there any import utility available? The export utility is available at yahoo user group "TPUser".

If it does exist, I can export TP asset and manage those files using source safe in multiple users environment, and when needed import back.

I also did some research work:
    TP_ASSETMAIN contains the name, object type, version...
    TP_SCRIPTS contains the real file content.
    I don't figure out what's TP_SCRIPT_DATA for and how to fill it.

Anybody have the experience on that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Does anybody know how to import file into TP database?

I don't know about the import, but I would also love to know how to do this. I, like you, work in a multiple user environment, and we are always tripping over each others code changes because we put all our files in Common Shared Module and therefore it always compiles everything when we run a script.

If there was some built in "check in/out" system in TP or a way to connect to source safe using import and export, I'd love to know about it.

Also, can anyone suggest a good way to work in a multi user environment so that we can get around these issues if there is no easy import available?

Aracknid
    TestPartner:
    Current AUT running test scripts on TP 6.3 build 183, SQL 2000 DB.
    Legacy AUT running on TP 5.6.0 Build 81 and TP 6.2 build 449 with SQL 2000 DB.

Test Environment:
    TP/IE Clients on VMWare ESX 4.1 server, AUT Servers on VMWare ESX 3.5 server.

Application Under Test (AUT):
    Client/Server based, IE 7/8 interface with SQL 2005/2008 DB.

Automating with TP since August 2004.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Mine may be the same problem. I'd like to be able to have a local database and then be able to synchronize with a remote database. Compuware says this is probably going to be included in a future version next year. Any ideas for now?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

To import the text file back to TestPartner open a new script and goto Insert~File on the TestPartner menu.

For the database issue you may want to wait for CPWR to implement this type of support. Replication can be tricky, dangerous and may void your support for that database.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

TP doesn't yet include support for importing/exporting other types of objects (besides logs) like you CAN do with QARun. I've heard it's coming in a future release, but I don't know if that's true, or when.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Compuware has been telling that import/export will "probably" be implemented in future release for over two years now, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

While TP does not support this directly there is a utility provided by MR_TechGuy that you can find in the yahoo user group that will allow you to export them to text files. To import them back follow the directions I provided previously. From what I have heard this feature should exist in not the next release but the release after likely within the next years time.