Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Has anybody tried using SQL Server Replication with Test Partner?

Our company currently has two development offices, more or less at opposite sides of the planet. Both teams are currently maintaining their own TP databases, which is less than ideal, and means we can't share scripts easily.

Given that the bandwidth between the two offices is insufficient to have a common DB server, this more or less limits us to trying SQL Replication to share the databases.

Last time I asked our Compuware Sales Rep they said that didn't know of any cases of anyone using replication.

Has anyone out there tried to do this already???

And if you have, is there anything I should be aware of?

Or is there some other option (besides rellocating the office) that we haven't considered?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Has anybody tried using SQL Server Replication with Test Partner?

Since the most recent post I saw discussing replication is a year old, I think it's time for a bump.

I am currently in this exact same scenario and am looking to hear a success story from anybody who has done replication before prior to investing a lot of time into a lost cause.

Originally posted by Alias in another thread:

You could skip the manual process of doing this by setting up Database Replication. This is functionality native to SQL Server and/or Oracle.

{DB A} <-> {Rep DB} <------> {DB B}

You can have 2 teams using separate repositories with the Rep_DB maintaining a "master" copy of the merged data. At a specified frequency it will update DB_A and DB_B to have a mirror image.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">How exactly does this work? If UserA writes ScriptA on DBA while UserB writes ScriptB on DBB and the servers synch every hour, then will each others script show up in the local databases or will one database overwrite the other? Is it possible to have synchronization occur between two databases or is this three database model required?

If the above scenario applies when users work with different assets, what happens if UserA updates ClassC, and UserB also updates ClassC. If they both start at version 10, and reach version 15, following the replication is the version equal to 20 with version 20 being whoever saved last, or is it equal to 15 with 10-15 belonging to whichever server replicated last, or is the asset corrupted beyond repair?

If anybody has some more insight so we know what we're getting into, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The problem with replication is that you run a huge risk of corrupting your database. Each asset in the database is associated with various numbers and linked to other objects. The numbers are primary keys and are incremented as needed. So obviously you cannot just copy tables from one database to the other. I played around with the concept for a while by manually moving data from one database to another to some degree of success but scrapped the idea when I heard that the next release will have import/export abilities.

...another thing you should take into consideration before doing this is that CPWR will not help you if you corrupt your database trying to do this as it is a violation of your end user agreement. There is a note in the release notes that states there is to be no database manipulation outside the GUI.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

As far as the import/export abilities are concerned I know they will have some functionality in the next version, but that will not be for at least six months considering the beta doesn't start for a few months. Even then I have not seen specifics as to how it will work, or what command line options will be available. If it ends up being a manually intensive process of synching two databases then it won't be of much value.

As for the replication I didn't think a two way synch would be possible until I read the post by Alias, and that made me want more information. What I was originally thinking of as a partial solution was have:

9pm EST
    ServerA --> (Overwrite) --> ServerB

8am EST
    ServerB --> (Overwrite) --> ServerA

That is at least just a copy.