I am completely new to Test Partner (although have other test tool experience) and am having this problem as well. However, in my case, I can't even get the tutorial to work! It seems to record ok (although the script doesn't look the way it says it should) and on playback, I get the "Failed to find attach name error".
You might have an object that is dynamically generated that it is trying to attach to. Some dyn. gen. objects change reference names so TP has trouble re-attaching to them after an initial record. Go through your objects and re-name them and change your script accordingly, instead of just relying on the recorded script
Is there any difference in the caption of the object between the recorded and when you play back the script? If that is the case, you can regularize the object caption by modifying the object properties (removing the caption property) in the object map
and replacing the part of object caption by '*’ in the script.
Failed to find the attach name:
"Google - Microsoft Internet Explorer Window"
Debuger pointed to
Windows("Google - Microsoft Internet Explorer Windows").Attach
IE6 (with the latest SP) was used for recording. An old version of TestPartner (5.0.4) was used.
Ran on Windows 2000 with the lastest SP.
I searched a little bit more on TestPartner and learned that a newer 5.1.1 has been around for 17 months (and the current TP is 5.2.1. has been run smoother on other issues)! But I am not sure
if any improvements are needed for a simple recording and playback senario.
I am new to TestPartner (used WR from Mercury
and learned QTP) and QAForums. I was very lucky to join you (I was impressed that 6 items returned when I searched for the issue I am facing.) I will try the suggestions of this topic and best wishes they solve my puzzle. Happy 4th.
I finally got the bottom of my problem, which was nothing to do with TestPartner itself. After ensuring the latest Win2k service pack was loaded, I ran anti-virus and spy ware utilities to check the PC was "clean" - which it wasn't. After correcting these problems, TestPartner is working fine.