Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Object browser in TP

I am a WinRunner guy but my company is looking at TP to test our new .net web application. I am evaluating TP and would appreciate some help in understanding how object recognition works.
    When you record a script all the objects in the window are recognized and made available thru the visual navigator, am i correct ?
    Is there a way i can share this repository of objects with other suites ?
    I contacted Tech Support and they say it is not possible. Meaning whenever i record a script objects i am interacting with are recognized and all the scripts of an application should be in the same DB.
    If I record another script and go thru the same workflow will the objects be recognized/stored again ?

Pardon me if i am rambling

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Object browser in TP

The major dif between the two tools is that while they both have object maps (gui maps), TP's are stored in a repository, and not grouped into flat files.

Out of the box, when you record an app, object maps will be created for objects that are Windows. You can turn on this for more objects, but in my opinion its not usually necessary. You can tell when a line in your script is referring to an object mapped object (as opposed to Raw Attach) because there is no equal sign in the description. As you record over the same windows it will reuse the object in the Object map if it has all the same properties.

i.e.
    HTMLEditBox(Name Editbox).Click 'This is object Mapped
    HTMLEditBox(Name=FirstName).Click 'This is Raw Attach

TP also has the concept of projects. Any objects in the map of the Common project are available (and will be used on record) from any other project.
    ~Alias~