Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Raw attach or Object mapping?

Hi!
    We are just about to start using TestPartner to test a Html/Java application. I've noticed that the default setting is to record objects as raw attach instead of learning the objects and store them in the object map.
    Does any of you experienced guys know which way of working is best? Raw attach or object mapping? Perhaps a combination is best? What do you suggest, and why?

Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Raw attach or Object mapping?

Normally you have nothing to change in the default settings of TestPartner. Windows are stored in the object map and all the other things are raw attach. That works perfect. If you have problems with special objects, then you can add this object also to the object map and change what ever you want. Thatīs the best way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

In my experience with object maps, they take up alot of room, take a long time to load when you have alot and you can not export them to keep a copy in text form of the mappings. I'm not a fan of how they were implemented, however the need for centralized mapping does not go away.

In new projects i've opted for raw attach, however i would always edit your scripts to use a variable and keep these mappings in a module so they can easily be edited/maintained.

Example:

Captured:
    Window("Application=IEXPLORE.EXE Caption='STS Web - Logon - Microsoft Internet Explorer'").Attach

Edit:
    Window(csLoginWindow).Attach

Module has ('$TPInclude module in scripts or Class however you are set up):

Public Const csLoginWindow = "Application=IEXPLORE.EXE Caption='STS Web - Logon - Microsoft Internet Explorer'"

Not only can i export the module to have a copy of the mappings but if the caption gets changed to NSB Web - Logon ... then i have one place to change and i've up and running again.

HTH,
    Max

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Max,

Does this mean that we can define the window attahced as a public constant and then use the same reference all over places? Does this apply to all type of windows?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I'm not sure i understand what you are asking. It's not only windows, it's any object. What i've done is created a module for the recognition strings called modConstants and defined all my windows, buttons, urls, etc... basically any recognitions required that would be hard coded in the function calls that TP uses to attach to windows or get/set values on the object.

This module is TPInclude'd in my classes, there's at least one class i use in any of my scripts, so the recognition strings are visible everywhere.

Max