Is TP really in the Beta Release stage ?
At the outset, I like the technology that has gone behind making TP , a COM application where the test scripts are stored as "objects" in a Database.
But, the product seems to suffer from many ills !
The set of functions that they have exposed for all the objects in their Library is rather "ordinary" and many times "useless".
For example :
1. "TreeView" control has not been provided with any Tree navigation functions.
2. "HTMLTable" control has not been provided with functions for accessing any of its cells.
No HTML control is recognised based on the "id" property of the control. TP can recognise them only by their "name" property.
And...the TP support group ...I dont know if that exists !
Or even if it exists , if they provide "Support".
PS : I work with SAP.
Re: Is TP really in the Beta Release stage ?
Ok... One at time here,
1) When you say you work with SAP, I'm not sure if you mean you work AT the company or your are working against SAP's web front-end. If its the second, TP will have success in the Web/SAP because they use the thin-client approach (used to work there too) but Compuware's QARun is the supported testing tool for the SAP env.
2) You can find all of the TreeView Navigation methods and properties in the ObjectBrowser. A TreeView navigation can be scripted or recorded as:
TreeView("Index=1").SelectItem "Program Files\Microsoft Office", tpMouseLeft, tpTreeButton
(In addition, you can use the Content check to validate any properties or content within)
3)You can validate all/any of the contents within HtmlTable Cells by using the Content Check as well. Or you can pull out values in individual cells into variables:
TheValue = HTMLTD("Index=3").Text
4)TP may utilize the 'Name' property by default, but you can specify which property you want to be 'Significant' about that object. You can do this in the script itself, or in the object map. ie:
is the same as..
HTMLButton("Name=Action Caption=Submit Index=2").click
5) Its true that the product could be a quite a bit more stable, but their support tells me that 5.1 should be much better.
Hope this helps,