Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Run-Time Error Trying to Run Driver Test Script

I have two separate test scripts: Install and FileConversion. I wanted to run a driver test script in TestPartner that would call both of these scripts, one at a time. The script as it stands looks like this:

Sub Main()

Run "Install"
    Run "FileConversion"

End Sub

Unfortunately, I get a run-time error '-2147467259 (80004005)' Failed to execute the Test script "Install".

Questions:

What has caused this to happen?

Do these test scripts have to be in the same project as my driver test script?

Do I need to attach to the Desktop or another GUI Object before running the first of two test scripts?

Please advise. Thanks.
    V/R,
    John J. Bottiger

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Run-Time Error Trying to Run Driver Test Script

I believe I may have an answer to this scenario. The driver script was defined in the Common project, while the Install and FileConversion scripts were defined in their respective projects. An excerpt from the TestPartner help manual describes how projects and their assets interact with each other:

"A TestPartner project can be created by an Administrator through the TestPartner user interface, and can contain any number of assets of any type. These assets may or may not relate to one another. Assets in one TestPartner project cannot access assets in another TestPartner project. There is one exception to this rule: the TestPartner Common Project, which is created by default. Assets in any TestPartner project can access assets in Common Project, but the reverse is not true."

The latter part of the last statement is true of my design. So I duplicated the two scripts into the Common project, and I no longer get the run-time error trying to execute the Install script. However, I did encounter a few more run-time errors along the way...all were due to the events, modules/scripts called within the duplicated scripts that were defined in the old projects. So I duplicated these assets into the Common project as well. Oh, and be sure to recapture the Windows/Screens defined in the script and/or events as well.

Now with events, re-capture the Windows/Screens in the duplicated events themselves. Also, be sure to re-insert the duplicated events into the duplicated scripts (so the scripts do not refer to events in the old projects--run-time errors result as mentioned).

Hopefully this helps all of those who use TestPartner and have experienced the same pain I experienced. If you need more information or have questions, please feel free to reply to this post.

Thanks very much.
    V/R,
    John J. Bottiger

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Run-Time Error Trying to Run Driver Test Script

Ok. For those wishing a summarized set of answers to these questions:

What has caused this to happen?
    The driver script called scripts and used associated assets that were not in the same project as the driver script AND were not in the Common project.

Do these test scripts have to be in the same project as my driver test script?
    Not necessarily. I recommend doing that for simplicity, but the assets being accessed should be in the Common project if not in the same project as the driver script.

Do I need to attach to the Desktop or another GUI Object before running the first of two test scripts?
    No.
    V/R,
    John J. Bottiger