Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hudson/Maven to QADirector/TestPartner

Hi,

I am new to QADirector. I have a query regarding QADirector.

Is there any way to call QADirector from Hudson/Maven, so that the QADirector will internally call Test Partner and Test Partner will execute the Test Scripts.

Can anyone suggest a solution for this..?

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Hudson/Maven to QADirector/TestPartner

Sunil,
    You've asked the same question ten times in two different forums. Perhaps it is better asked of someone who understands Maven or Hudson.
    TP 6.3
    AUT: Web app - Java/SQL
    Using TestPartner since 2008
    Using QTP since 2002

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

But still i didn't get the answer...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Sunil, you need to learn to help yourself as much as asking for help.

First thing you need to learn is that this forum has a search capability. Use it. If you search for things with keywords that you've asked about you'll likely find answers to your questions.

Second thing to learn is that Google will also help you if you ask the right question.

Third thing is that TestPartner is a tool that just does test automation. It doesn't have anything built into it to do much else (like send e-mails when scripts have completed, or allow you to easily run your screipts remotely). You need to think about your process and figure out what pieces you need to get implemented, using other tools/code.

Since TestPartner is built on VBA, it is often very easy to search for code written in VB (Visual Basic 6) or VBA/VBScript and use it within you own scripts. For example, you could find code to send e-mails if you wanted too.

So here is some help to get you started:

- To execute scripts remotely on another machine in TestPartner, you need to use QADirector or batch files that use tp.exe

- There is no way for TestPartner to report back it's status on individual scripts that have run (pass or fail) if you use batch files, so you will need to either right code into your scripts to do this, or write another app that reads into the TP database and finds the results and extracts them to send. Or, use QADirector which may do this (I don't use it so I'm not sure on that).

- QADirector has the capability to execute scripts on remote machines if you've set it all up correctly. But if you use batch files method instead, you need to remotely execute this scripts yourself. You can use a tool like psexec.exe (part of the PSTools from Microsoft) to remotely run anything on another machine.

What I do....

- I use my TestPartner Database server's Schedule Tasks (part of Windows) to launch a batch file on the db server that uses PSEXEC to run another batch on the machine(s) that have TestPartner installed.
    - The batch files on the TP machines have 1 line for every script I want to run on that machine, and the lines look like this:
    <font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
    tp.exe -d tpdbname -u tpuser -p tpuserpassword -r tpproject -s tpscript
    </pre><hr />
    - Within my TP scripts, I have built in code I wrote to log my results to my own database (you can use ADO for doing this)
    - I monitor my own database using my own web site app that is plugged into my own DB.

It's actually much more sophisticated than I've explained, but that's it.

- If you want to automatically run your scripts when the build has been deployed, you need to change this so that:
    a) something is running and monitoring that the build has been deployed (you'll need to figure out the best way for that, as there are many ways) and when it detects this, it starts the batch file instead of using Scheduled Tasks
    b) Part of your deployment script (at the end) starts the scripts.

I hope this helps you and gives you a push in the direction you want. If not, use the 3 techniques at the top to help yourself.

Aracknid
    TestPartner:
    Current AUT running test scripts on TP 6.3 build 183, SQL 2000 DB.
    Legacy AUT running on TP 5.6.0 Build 81 and TP 6.2 build 449 with SQL 2000 DB.

Test Environment:
    TP/IE Clients on VMWare ESX 4.1 server, AUT Servers on VMWare ESX 3.5 server.

Application Under Test (AUT):
    Client/Server based, IE 7/8 interface with SQL 2005/2008 DB.

Automating with TP since August 2004.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

@Aracknid.

I recently began using MicroFocus TestPartner 6.3.0 build 172 with my new position as a tester. Our department has more than 6 years worth of scripts written in TestPartner and being supported by IE6. MicroFocus has informed us that they provide no support or tool that would assist us in migrating all of these scripts over to IE8. They said we would need to re-write all scripts to be supported by the newer version of TestPartner.

Do you know of any methods or have any ideas where I could find something that would assist in us doing a "find and replace" function rather than having to rewrite 1000's of scripts?

Any help you can provide would be wonderful!

Anthony