Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Testpartner won\'t hook into IE properly

Hi,

At work we are using TestPartner 6.0 Build 462. We have it interface with IE for part of our testing. One of our computers was recently rebuilt and once I set it back up I found that TestPartner could no longer hook into certain applications, such as IE. On this one computer it can not see anchors or frames on the website, it just sees the page as one giant frame with nothing else to hook. This unfortunately means I'm forced to sideline that computer from testing until I can figure out how to fix the issue.

We think it might be related to Window XP SP3, all the other computers are SP2. Has anyone else seen anything similar to this?

For additional info, the good computers are running this version of IE: 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.090206-1233 and the bad computer is running this version: 6.0.2900.5512.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234.

If anyone has any idea for how to resolve this, I'd greatly appreciate it. I also left a note about this on MicroFocus' forums, but I have my doubts about that working.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Testpartner won\'t hook into IE properly

I should also add that I have been informed that downgrading the machine to SP2 is not going to be possible. Likewise I figure that upgrading Testpartner is not a viable option at this time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Try using "IE Developer Toolbar" in the machine in which you are facing the problem. "IE Developer Toolbar" plugin is a freeware provided by Microsoft.It is used to capture and verify object properties in detail.

If IE Toolbar is also not able to capture all the items (Anchors, Frames as you have mentioned) , then there is nothing wrong with TP. It means some VB Add In is missing on your box.

If IE Toolbar is able to identify the objeccts, then there's something missing/wrong with TP.(or it may be a TP compatibility issue)
    -Manish
    TeatPartner 6.0.0 (Present)
    QTP 8.1 (Earlier)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

IE Developer Tools can see everything. IE is not the only program I'm having an issue with. An old internally developed VB application was the first thing I noticed it with, but since it was being decommissioned I didn't consider it all that great a loss. So, I'm pretty sure it's Testpartner's fault, I just need to figure out if it's something I can actually do something about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

So, you basically re-installed everything, including TP, on this rebuilt system? Maybe you a) forgot to include something, or b) something newer and not supported in TP6.0 was installed by SP3?

It might be possible that there is a registry tweak you did for TP that fixed the problem you are encountering that you forgot to re-tweak with the rebuilt system. I seem to recall in TP 6.0 we had issues seeing things in frames in IE, and either a tweak or a patch resolved the problem. But to be honest, we moved on to a newer version of TP. I've had many registry tweaks over the years for various versions resolve some issues for us. They are easy to forget about when installing on a new system.

TP 6.2 SP1 is the newest version, and it also added support for some issues with newer version of VBA. This could also be a problem you are running into.

I'd suggest checking your VBA version and checking this forum or Microfocus's web site for supported version in the TP 6.0 release you have.

Aracknid.
    TestPartner:
    Current AUT running test scripts on TP 6.3 build 183, SQL 2000 DB.
    Legacy AUT running on TP 5.6.0 Build 81 and TP 6.2 build 449 with SQL 2000 DB.

Test Environment:
    TP/IE Clients on VMWare ESX 4.1 server, AUT Servers on VMWare ESX 3.5 server.

Application Under Test (AUT):
    Client/Server based, IE 7/8 interface with SQL 2005/2008 DB.

Automating with TP since August 2004.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Test partner runs on SP3. We had version 6.2 of TP though.