Excel and DDE Commands
We are attempting to use Excel for both the input and output from our QARun script executions and we seem to be running into a QARun limitation that is not documented. Quite a shocker [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
We have 3 sheets in the excel workbook and we are reading and writing data to and from each of these sheets using the DDE commands. While it will work for a small set of data (under 120 rows). When we get a larger set of data to run we get a QARun error 4008.
Of course this error is not listed in the errors in the QARun help file and the mgs text is useless. It seems to us like QARun is only setting up a specific amount of memory and once you hit it, you are done. This is just our thinking.
Because of political decisions, Excel spreadsheets are the way we have to go, so please don't recommend going to a database or CSV file for the input or output, it is just not an option here.
Has anyone done a lot of work with QARun and the DDE commands using Excel for sets of data over 120 rows and been successful with it?
Re: Excel and DDE Commands
I do not use QARun anymore (I have switched to TestPartner) and have had no experience with reading/writing Excel files from QARun but, anyway, I can suggest a workaround.
Write an external program (it may be an Excel macro or a standalone VB program) that opens your Excel file and writes the content of the three sheets to three csv files (there exist Excel functions to do this). These files can be then used by QARun. When QARun finishes its job, the external program (Excel macro, VB program) reads the three csv files and puts their contents to the three Excel sheets. As the initial input file is Excel and the final output file is Excel, this surely does not violate the "political decisions".
Another option is to switch to TestPartner, but this is another topic and other "political decisions". [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Re: Excel and DDE Commands
I actually found out that I had copied the DDEInitiate into the function I was calling every time I wanted to read or write out to Excel. Once I moved the DDEInitiate command out to a setup function that was only called once, it started to work just fine.
As far as switching to TestPartner, we are looking at it, but we us PowerTerm as our emulator and TestPartner crashes it whenever we try to do a CaptureText so we can't use it for this project. I placed a call and sent an email via FrontLine into Compuware tech support about 5 days ago and they still have not returned either one. As a consultant who goes to client sites and makes tool recommendations, Compuware is getting to the point they are going to start losing my recommendations because their tech support is such a joke, but that is another discussion for another forum [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]