Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Capturing a Splash Screen

Hello all..

Using QArun 4.90.01 i would like to catch the splash screen displayed by my application. Inside this splash screen is version information which i wish to check. I've tried to identify the screen as it shows but the identifier does not get any information for the screen..

Has anybody come across this before? All help appreciated.

Thanks
    Kev...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Capturing a Splash Screen

Instead of using the spash screen for the version info, normally applications will have a Help~About selection on the main menu. Under the Help~About selection is there is usually a section containing version information. Since this window is user controlled and not "Timed" it will be easier to work with.

If you need to, check with the application developer, but I have yet to encounter an application that you could not find the version listed somewhere other than the splash screen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

N/A
    Thanks

[ 07-15-2004, 05:36 AM: Message edited by: kevdel ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Kevdel,

"What really was the point of my post?" To answer your question. Please tell me where in my post I asked you to "CHANGE" any of your code? I simply said to look in another place for the Version information.

If it is a "Standard Windows" application, then the same version information listed on the Splash screen will also be listed under Help~About. It would be much easier to check it here. If you had any real experience as a programmer or tester you would know this already! This was why I said to talk to the developer. Not to have them CHANGE the code, but to tell you if the versioning information was listed in another place. Is the point of the test to make sure that the version information is correct on the splash screen, or to make sure you are delivering and testing the right version of code?

There are several possible ways to solve this issue, but since you decided to be such a "Nice Guy" in your reply, FIGURE THEM OUT YOURSELF!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Fair point..
    I will delete all comments made by myself... (done)

as for this "FIGURE THEM OUT YOURSELF!"??? you should really put your toys back in the pram before somebody trips on them. Very professional...

And please don't judge people's skills on one post.. make an intelligent opinion after you've learned a bit more of what i do in relation to automated testing.... If i made my opinion known about you you might not like it. but for the interest of diplomacy i'll keep quiet......

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Now that, that is out of the way. There are 2 ways I see you can try and capture the Splash screen.

1. Attempt to create a Text/Bitmap check in QARun that will verify the information on the screen as it appears.

2. Take a snapshot (bitmap) of the screen as it appears, then create a check in QARun to process the check later.

I think option 2 is easier and more stable, but it will require another tool/application. We have an application here called SNAGIT that allows us to save a screen shot (bitmap) at any time with the press of a key. I have set up QARun to grab a snapshot of any screen it encounters that it does not know how to handle.

Following this logic you could set up the script as follows:

1. Have QARun start the app.
    2. Create an Event in QARun to look for the Splash screen (Window Event).
    3. In the If-Block of the Event have SNAGIT... grab a snapshot of the Splash screen and save it to the hard drive.
    4. Create a Bitmap/Text check to verify the snapshot has the right data on it.

By using the event to drive this, if you miss the splash screen it will not cause the script to crash, just not execute the Check.

To create the event you will need to:
    1. Go into QARun
    2. Go into your script
    3. Select Insert~Event~New~Window
    4. Give the Event a meaningful name
    5. Click on the next button
    6. This will leave you at the "Identify" screen (Stay there in QARun)
    7. Start you app
    8. as fast a possible switch back to QARun and press the Identify button (This will minimize QARun)
    9. When the splash screen appears in your app, press the left mouse button and QARun should capture the Window infomation and return to the editor. (This may take several trys to get the timing right)
    10. Click on the Next button in QARun
    11. Pick a window "State" to use. With most applications "Exists" works well.
    12. Click on Finish. This should close the wizard and past several lines of code into your script, including an IF-Block. Anything you place inside the if block will only be executed is QARun sees the splash screen when you reach that point in the code. I would place the screen shot code inside the IF-Block.

This method does an additional app, but I think it will be more stable then just trying to create a check that will look at the splash screen on the fly.