Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Object map (especially wrt Delphi)

Hi,

We're using QARun 4.7.1, and a Delphi 6 app.

I am very new to QARun, having a background in WinRunner. My issue is converting from the WR Gui Map to the Object Map in QAR (converting my approach, rather than any code / files). In WR I can make global changes to how objects are 'seen' / used by editing the Gui Map, and am having problems with doing similar types of thing with the object map. So... my fgirst question is - can anyone recomend a good source of info on the QAR Object Map (ideally online and free, the client currently has no budget available, and we currently have no time for going on training courses).

Second issue - I have had a look through the forums wrt Delphi, and read a lot of useful information (mainly that there are serious issues). My problem is that (briefly), QAR is using useful names for objects, but, in our app, assigning names to buttons such as '~1'. (I read that turning of various significant fields may help, which we are trying). The actual problem being that we cam in this morning and all the buttons seem to have different identifiers - the app has not been rebuilt over the weekend, as far as we can tell it is exactly the same same executable as we had on Friday (network app, so we cannot say we are absolutely certain this is the case...).

We can't understand at the moment why the identifiers have changed, but even if we can this is looking like a showstopper for us, as far as automating our tests goes, which is not making us happy at all.

Any help / tips / example scripts / pointers to where we may be able to get any of these things would be very much appreciated.

(And no, the client is no longer supported, so we don't even have access to the CompuWare knowledge base)

Many many thanks for any help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Object map (especially wrt Delphi)

geometry's 1st question:
    Hi,

We're using QARun 4.7.1, and a Delphi 6 app.

I am very new to QARun, having a background in WinRunner. My issue is converting from the WR Gui Map to the Object Map in QAR (converting my approach, rather than any code / files). In WR I can make global changes to how objects are 'seen' / used by editing the Gui Map, and am having problems with doing similar types of thing with the object map. So... my fgirst question is - can anyone recomend a good source of info on the QAR Object Map (ideally online and free, the client currently has no budget available, and we currently have no time for going on training courses).
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Some pointers I use: this forum (use the Search advanced facility),
    and the Documentation Bookshelf that comes with the product.
    geometry's 2nd question:

Second issue - I have had a look through the forums wrt Delphi, and read a lot of useful information (mainly that there are serious issues). My problem is that (briefly), QAR is using useful names for objects, but, in our app, assigning names to buttons such as '~1'. (I read that turning of various significant fields may help, which we are trying). The actual problem being that we cam in this morning and all the buttons seem to have different identifiers - the app has not been rebuilt over the weekend, as far as we can tell it is exactly the same same*executable as we had on Friday (network app, so we cannot say we are absolutely certain this is the case...).

We can't understand at the moment why the identifiers have changed, but even if we can this is looking like a showstopper for us, as far as automating our tests goes, which is not making us happy at all.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">This is a persistent question on this forum.
    A strategy:
    </font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">record the modified object into the object map.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">select both the old and new objects in the object map.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">now choose Commands-&gt;Compare Entries from the menu.</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"> The fields that differ are bound to be not important.
    You can avoid them in the future by selecting Options-&gt;Significant Fields Masks..., and deselecting those fields.
    A consecutive learn will not need to create a new object if insignificant fields have changed.

Leo