Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Access vs SQL Server

Were currently running QARun from an MSAccess '.mdb' database, but i was wondering if anyone had any views/experience relating to the pro's and cons of SQL Server against Access.

Cheers

Simon

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Access vs SQL Server

Hi Simon

We're in exactly the same situation, pondering swapping from MDB to SQL Server.

I've been chatting to the helpful bods at Compuware and they've sent me some information on this - 2 files on QADirector and 1 on QARun. The latter describes converting QARun MDB to SQL Server.

If you'd like them just drop me an email.

I'm been informed that going from MDB -> SQL Server is relatively straightforward and that the admin utility "Database Maintenance" can do this for you (although check with Compuware for specifics on this b4 doing anything).

Server load is apparently not a problem, and you can say goodbye to any problems you may have had with MDB file size bloat. Oh and it gets past the 1mil record limit that Access has as well.

Anything else just ask

-Colin

------------------
    -Colin
    colind@profund.com http://www.profund.com

[This message has been edited by Colin Deady (edited 05-16-2002).]

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Access vs SQL Server

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sreilly:
    pro's and cons of SQL Server against Access.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>We use both. Local Access database is faster than MS SQL running on a server.
    If one person is working for particular project -> use local Access.
    If several testers automate the same project (and have to access the same scripts/objects) -> use SQL Server.

[This message has been edited by Yury (edited 01-25-2002).]
    Yury
    Testing, Performance Testing, Performance Engineering