Thread: Streaming Media

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Streaming Media

Frankly, I'm a bit baffled as to how one tests streaming media itself with a functional testing tool. However, if you give me a good description of what and how you need to test, perhaps I can provide a response.

If you're looking to test a website, I've had plenty of success with QARun and TestPartner. QARun had some minor issues in the past, but they have long since been cleared up.

[This message has been edited by Garbage_Man (edited 01-23-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Streaming Media

I am evaluating QARun. Does anyone have any experience testing streaming media with QARun? How does it compare with e-Tester and SilkTest?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I have found a way to load test a stream and record how many seconds it plays. This the closest I have come to testing a stream. In evaluating e-Tester, I used a VBscript to do this. I was wondering if anyone had experience writing scripts to test streams in other testing packages. Specifically silktest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Interesting question Jon.

In my experience, it depends on what media you're using and what its player looks like, but in QARun you could create a script that starts a clock when it sees the media player come up on screen, and then record the test time when the "play slider" reaches the end (thus indicating the end of the media sample).

With TestPartner (using the Windows Media Player as an example), you could Bind TestPartner to the ActiveX player window as follows:

Dim a as TActiveX
    Set a = TestPartner.ActiveX("Application=IEXPLORE.EXE ClassName=MediaPlayer")

Then you can make use of any methods/properties/etc of that object (e.g. - a.Exists) in your script. I'm not certain which property you're going to want to interrogate, but I suspect something like .CurrentPosition might be what you'd want. For what it's worth, a property check on the MediaPlayer brings back probably at least 100 properties and methods, and I'd expect TestPartner to be able to make use of them without any problem (though we obviously can't alter the values of properties that are read-only at runtime).

------------------
    James Brennan
    Compuware Corporation
    QARun/TestPartner/WebCheck
    Product Line
    Sales Support Manager
    1-800-737-7300

[This message has been edited by Jim Brennan (edited 01-24-2001).]
    James Brennan
    Product Owner
    Micro Focus
    Email: jim.brennan@microfocus.com