We bought QA Run about a year ago & had someone from Compuware in to do training. I am the only person left from that class & haven't been able to use the product very much. We are trying to get back into it & I also have some new people in the group looking to learn it. The binders we got from the class are not that helpful & we can't afford to have another class.
Is there anything out there that may help us with learning/using the tool.
Have you tried walking through the GUI and Character-Based Getting Started Guides? I had no problem learning how to use the QARun using these two resources included with the product as my starting point.
QARun, Product Line
Sales Support Manager
I found that for the most part, QA Run is easily learned. There are some things that are a little more difficult to use, but I taught myself how to use QA Run through the manual and online help files.
I haven't found any place better than this forum for QA Run online. Good luck!
As stated in previous messages, QA Run is an intuitive tool (this is assuming you have a techincal apptitude). One thing I would suggest is to learn how your target application (the application you are trying to automate) functions. For example, notice how the application starts up (is there a delay from when you click on an icon or type in a command line prompt?), switches windows (if testing a client/server application), behaves when users interact with the application....
being able to understand how the target application "behaves" will help you to understand how to automate your tests.
Another thought I want to pass on is that I spend 10% of my automated testing development on recording the script. The other 90% is writing in code to make the scripts generic and reusable. By doing this, this cuts down on the number of scripts used/time spent maintaining them.
We have been using QARun for about 1 year now. The basic functionality is rather straight forward to learn. If you wish to make your scripts more roboust, you will require some sound progamming knowledge.