Thread: Synchronization

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Synchronization

I'm having trouble getting more than 6 vusers running error free and I think the problem could be that vuser 1 is starting 2nd iteration before VUser 7 has even logged on.

What I need to do is get all VUsers logged on before they start the main body of the script.

I tried to move the Synchronize command to the begin transaction but it came up with a compile error of 'Syntax error:'DO_MSLEEP' occurs before 'SYNCHRONIZE' in script'.

I gather from the help that you can only use one synchronize so I don't think this would work anyway as I need to pace the log ons also.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to resolve this, I really need for it to wait for all users to be logged on before continuing.

Thanks in anticipation

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Synchronization

I see that the help file is confusing. I do not understand the SYNCHRONIZE() function myself as it doesn't seem to do anything...

What you want to use is the SYNCH() function that you can use as many times as you want (SYNCH() not SYNCHRONIZE()!). But this only applies to VU that are currently running. So you will need to add an appropriately long sleep at the beginning of the script and use the SYNCH function after it (you have to edit the script file to do this, but it sounds like you've already been doing that).

Hope this helps...

I'm really curious though as to how 1 user starting the second iteration could affect another user logged in or not. Unless there is some functional logic that you are using in the scripts that would in some way tie the users together, user 1 should be able to run several iteations before the last user is logged in.
    A problem is a difference between what is perceived and what is desired, that
    we want to reduce
    (Dewey 1933)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for your help I'll try it.

I don't know if that is the reason, I'm clutching at straws to be honest, it's all I can see as the difference between 6 users which runs no problem and adding a 7th which causes it to fall over.

I'm running through Citrix but the CPU on the server is only approx 60% so it can't be that the citrix server can't cope with the load? If you have any other suggestions they would be greatfully received.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

It sounds like you have assumed that the problem is with QALoad.

Perhaps you have hit a performance barrier of some sort at VU 7 and the tool is showing you a problem. Are you sure the problem is with QALoad and not in the application or the infrastructure?

Could be QALoad is trying to tell you something about your app or infrastructure. Don't think just cpu and tool. Look at everything. Do you have a network throughput issue? Are there limited connections available to a backend database?

If you can get 6 VUs running but VU #7 fails, I suspect that it is NOT a script problem in QALoad. If it were, you would probably see the problem at VU #2 or 3.

[ QUOTE ]
    What I need to do is get all VUsers logged on before they start the main body of the script.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Is that even a valid test? In the real world, will all your users log into the app before any one of them starts using it?