Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Threads vs. Processes

Can someone tell me the difference between the two, other than process takes a lot more from the player machine to run? I assume it's basically the type of system you're testing against, multi-threaded or multi-process. So, in load testing a multi-threaded web application server, I would use threads, and if I was loading a server by executing multiple .exe's, I would use processes. Am I correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Threads vs. Processes

Not positive, but I believe threads are created by processes (ie running programs) and so all threads share the same memory management, security, stack, etc. Also, threads can easily communicate with each other. Programs have there own stuff... actually, I just looked up "thread" on wikipedia and that's better than I can do.
    Cheers,
    B^2

"Imagination is more valuable than knowledge." (AE)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yes, but I need to know more how it applies to QALoad...mainly what the effect is on the testing by choosing one versus another.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

for heavy duty applications better to run as Process than threads.
    If you have attended the training of QALoad you should have got this cleared.
    Examples like citrix, and other client-server applications can be used to run as process rather than thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

If you run in thread mode, each VU runs off of a thread spawned from a process. Since some resources are shared in this mode, you will normally find you can run more VUs per player. If you run into memory errors or inconsitent middleware exceptions try running in process mode. In process mode, each VU runs as its own process.

Some middlewares, such as Citrix and SAP only have the option to run in process mode. The WWW middleware may be run in either thread or process.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Well, I've been running processes as my load generating box can handle 314 and we only have 250 VU licenses. I figured it can't hurt to always run as a process if I have the horsepower to support it. I was mainly concerned with the software side (ie:software configured to run multi-threaded vs. multi-process). From the responses, however, it seems to have more to do with the QALoad generating side of things.