Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Key Word Driven and Compuware

Hello Everyone,

Has anyone out there tried using QA Center suite (mainly with QA Director for test casing) with a keyword driven automation approach?

We are currently getting ready to move to QA Director and I am looking to push for Keyword driven automation and I was trying to determine how and if I can leverage the manual tests created in QA Director.

Any suggestions or help in this would be great!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Key Word Driven and Compuware

Keyword driven automation isn't really a QADirector issue at all. QADirector is basically taking care of the test coordination, but doesn't much care if you use QARun or TestPartner for the automation.

You might get more information by posting your query about keyword driven automation in the TestPartner forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Sorry I guess I was not really clear in my question. What I was trying to find out is that in QAD you write and store all your test cases, and from what I have learned about key word driven is that you create a test engine that will then read all your test cases and run the proper code based on the key words in the scripts.

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried this with QAD test cases?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Keyword-Driven from QAD is possible. You'll have to bend certain rules, but they are worth the while. Beyond the fact that you need to create and implement your own pseudo-language, this is the extra that you'll need (BTW, this solution also works with CARS):

IN QAD:
    Normally in keyword-driven, the test case steps are contained into an external file, like an ActiveData. In this case, these steps will be in QAD.

- You need a Manual Test Script and a TestPartner Test Script. Both must have the same name.

- The TestPartner Test Script is attached to a Test Procedure.

- The Manual Test Script MUST NOT be attached to a Test Procedure.

- What comes is tricky because you cannot customize manual steps in QAD (like having different/more columns). In the Manual Test Script, use Instructions only, and each instruction must represent an ActiveData data row you would normally have.

For instance, if an AD row has 5 columns, all five columns must be in that same instruction (I said this was tricky).

IN TESTPARTNER:
    - Create a script for each Manual Test Script, and each script MUST HAVE the same name as the Manual Test Script.

- Each script will point to a function into a Module/Shared Module and will only have this command line (more lines if you want error handling):

<Function Name> Name

This is the beauty of this method; when QAD executes a TP script, it uses the script name which, during the TP execution, is also the property Name (again in TestPartner). The purpose of the module is to first find the instructions to get the steps to execution, which is done through a SQL statement to the QAD DB using the name of the TestPartner script.

In summary, the QAD TestPartner Test Script name executes a TestPartner script, which uses its Name to find the QAD Manual Test Script of the same name. Yeah, it sounds corky, but having QAD and TP assets of the same name is the trick of the solution.

TEST PARTNER MODULE:
    - You'll need 4 constants:
    - The ODBC DSN of QAD
    - The DSN username
    - The DSN password
    - The QAD project name

- Before looping the test case steps, aka the QAD Manual Test Script instructions, you'll need to do the following:

1- Connect to the QAD DB

2- Get the project ID based on the project name:
    SELECT ProjectID FROM QAC_QACP_Projects WHERE Name='<QAD project name>'

3- Get the test case ID using the name of the script
    SELECT ScriptDefnID FROM QAC_QAD_ScriptDefns
    WHERE ProjectID=<ProjectID>
    AND CommandLine LIKE 'QCManRun%'
    AND Name='<Name>'

4- Based on the found test case ID, get all the test case steps
    SELECT ItemText FROM QAC_QAD_ManTest_Items
    WHERE ManTestID = sScriptID
    ORDER BY OrderNo

5- Loop the returned recordset, and you're in business

MY PIECE OF ADVICE
    Build a compiler at the same time. The reason being you cannot use drop-down lists to ease the use of your pseudo-language. The idea of a compiler is to look at the code without executing it on the application under test. In this case, what will be compiled is the Instructions from a QAD Manual Test Script.

Usually when building a keyword-driven solution, a script uses a lot of Select Case statements. The Case Else statement can be used to report syntax errors.

The fact that you need a script for each test case also means you can test each script individually. In fact, nothing prevents you from adding a second parameter, a boolean to determine if you want to use the compiler or not, so the script calling the module function can be

<Function Name> Name, False
    instead of
    <Function Name> Name
    and modified to
    <Function Name> Name, True
    to compile the test case steps from the QAD Manual Test Script.

MY IMPLEMENTATION
    I'll throw in how I implemented my QAD keyword-driven solution. Note that I'm in no way imposing this solution and I'm also aware other ways exist.

In what I needed to do, I figured that everytime I hit a screen or an entity (like a different tab from a tab control), two things were happening: whether I perform something on this entity or I perform a navigation action to exit the current entity and move to another one.

The pseudo-language I implemented reverted around these 4 keywords:
    - EntityName: The window or entity I'm currently in.
    - EntityAction: Like modifying the value of a field.
    - ExitAction: A navigation action to move to another entity.
    - ActionValue: A value needed by the EntityAction or the ExitAction.

Here's an example using Windows Address Book (do Start->Run, type WAB) to create a new contact. Note that each instruction represents one QAD Manuel Test Script instruction:

Instruction 1: From the main screen, create a new contact:
    EntityName=MainWindow;ExitAction=MenuFileNewContac t

Instruction 2: From the contact properties window, enter a first name:
    EntityName=ContactWindow;EntityAction=Field_First; ActionValue=John

Instruction 3: From the contact properties window, enter a last name, then press the OK button:
    EntityName=ContactWindow;EntityAction=Field_Last;A ctionValue=Smith;ExitAction=ButtonOK

Instruction 4: From the Main WAB window, make sure the new contact is part of the list of contacts (a TP content check):
    EntityName=MainWindow;EntityAction=Check;ActionVal ue=WAB_NewContact_ContactAddedToList

As you can see, the ';' character is used to separate all the pieces of each instruction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi I am new to Learning Compuware,Can any one please provide me the Document or tutorial of it ,which help me to learn it.

Thanks,
    Sunil.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Sunil: if you have the Compuware software, you have the tutorials and manuals on disk. If not, it is inappropriate for anyone to provide those materials without the software.

Please contact your local Compuware sales rep for this material.