Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Windows Permissions questions

We've had some random trouble trying to do the following:

* READ from but not write to files (??) Somehow agent can create files but can't read from them later. We look and see that they're there, and we use the same global file name so we don't think it's bad code. We get around this by changing the location of the file to or away from a network drive. Then it starts inexplicably working. Later it stops, we change it to a local file or a different network drive, and it's good for a while again.

* Create new registry keys, although we can read from or change existing registry keys. When we attempt, we get error 87 back from the DLL, which means "incorrect parameters." However, we are pretty sure of the parameters.

I am starting to think these two things are connected, and that it's something to do with Windows permissions. We're running on XP - is there a way to see what user the Agent is running as? This is probably very basic, but it's been some years since I've messed with Windows - I am hoping someone sees something obvious that I am missing.

Thanks very much for any help!
    Jody

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Windows Permissions questions

The quickest way is to start Task Manager and look at agent.exe. If the User Name column isn't shown, go View>Select Columns, then select User Name.

My preferred method though is to use Process Monitor (from the sysinternals tools), as this shows what groups the account is a member of, along with the specific permissions granted to that account.

On my rigs, agent.exe runs as local user, ie, whatever account I've logged on as. If you routinely use different accounts this might explain your 'random' behaviour. Account A for example may have been granted rights to a particular (shared) folder by the owner, and Account B may not.

Regards
    Peat

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I obviously had an Alzheimer's moment. I meant Process Explorer. Process Monitor is a different tool entirely.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

For first pt:
    You need to check the permissions on folder level.

For Second pt:
    Try with Administrator level...
    Thanks & Regards,
    Palani.
    http://tips-testing.blogspot.com/index.html
    Quote: Donít hesitate to initiate!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for the leads. . . it's stopped happening but it will come up again, and I can do some looking - it's like the Terminator of issues for me.