Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Error: Control is not responding

Hello,

I have come accross this problem with Silk many times. But here is a typical one. I have Silk 5.0.3.1 and Interner Explorer 5.00.2919.6307 installed in two PCs both running on Win NT 4.0. The script that I am talking about works in one PC and not in the other. It fails in the statment - LoggedInHome.BuySellStock.OrderType.Select ("Limit") when I run the scrip in the second PC. BTW OrderType is a HtmlPopupList. It says "Error: Control is not responding". I tried the work around given in the Help - setting Agent.SetOption(OPT_VERIFY_RESPONDING, FALSE) before this line of statement. But with this setting, Silk picks the wrong selection in that HtmlPopupList. Could anyone suggest what I should do under this condition?

Thanks

Sam

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Error: Control is not responding

I can't help you because I'm having the same problem with html check boxes and htmlradiolists. I've contacted Segue support only to be told that "We've create a case-id and a support rep will get to you soon" but it's been more than a week and they still haven't contacted me!

I'm hoping that by posting here along with you, other's will take more notice of this problem. Who knows, maybe Segue people browse these boards.

I don't know of a way known to resolve this problem. sorry. If you find a solution. Please let me know.

thanks,

------------------
    Dave
    QA Engineer
    CareAssured.com
    Dave
    QA Engineer
    CareBid.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hello Amjad,

I could use any advice or suggestion you may have on how to resolve these problems I've been having. Did you post your answer to our questions on the same thread? If you have any suggestions please post them, but specifically,the details of my exact problem with silktest are:

1)during "record window declarations" operation of silktest, silk test will not see all of the objects on the page, and sometimes will see objects as the wrong type.

2)silktest will give object not responding errors during run-time of a testscript.

We have a webpages with lots of form objects
    which are laid out by placing them inside of HtmlTables.

The types objects we use most are
    *HtmlTextField
    *HtmlPopupList
    *HtmlRadioList
    *HtmlCheckBox
    *HtmlLink
    *HtmlText
    *HtmlImage(with and without links)

The type of controls SilkTest has had the most problems with are:
    *HtmlRadioList
    *HtmlCheckBox
    *HtmlPopupList
    *HtmlLink/HtmlText

The exact problems SilkTest has had with these controls are:
    HtmlRadioList
    *SilkTest gives "Object not responding" errors
    *SilkTest records this object declaration as an HtmlHeading instead of RadioList(this prevents us from calling any RadioList specific methods on this object, such as
    .Select()), Also note that silk test will not see the radiolist at runtime either, so even using generic object referencing will not work such as HtmlRadioList("#1").Select("Item1") will not work.

HtmlCheckBox
    *SilkTest gives "Object not responding" errors
    *SilkTest does not even see that there are checkboxes on the page during "record window declaration.(not that these are inside of htmltable cells, sometimes nested tables 2 or 3 deep. I suspect this may be part of the problem)

HtmlPopupList
    *SilkTest says "Item not found" in response to HtmlPopupList.Select("item name") statements
    *SilkTest returns a list of empty strings in response to HtmlPopupList.GetContents()

HtmlLink/HtmlText
    *SilkTest frequently confuses these 2 object types...thinking that an HtmlText object is and HtmlLink and vice versa, at different times on the same page or other pages.(very sporadic).

All of this incorrect behavior is very sporadic and intermittent. It will work fine one time and wrong the next. If you play around by say performing "Record Action" on a page, where SilkTest is not seeing certain objects(i.e. HtmlCheckBox), then retry "Record window declaration", SilkTest will see the checkboxes. But not always.

I'm using IE4.72.3612.1713:sp2 at the moment. Some people on the boards have mentioned that some browser versions work better than others. Could you recommend the best exact version(build#) of IE4.x that I should use? Also the same for IE5.x? My host computer here is running winnt4.0 sp4.

thanks for the help,
    Dave Arnold
    QA Engineer
    CareAssured.com

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2000 9:42 PM
    To: dave@careassured.com
    Subject: Re: [silktest] Re: Error: Control is not responding

Hi Dave,

I noticed you're having problems with some SilkTest
    object recognition. I'd be happy to assist you if I
    can. My name is AJ Alhait and I created QAForums.com I
    also do consulting and provide consultants if you have
    any need. My specialty is providing workarounds
    Thus the creation of QAForums

Please let me know if I can help.

Thanks and note there will be a drawing for
    autographed copies of QA Books in 2 days, and each
    post you make counts as an entry.

--- darnold <dave@careassured.com> wrote:
    > I can't help you because I'm having the same problem
    > with html check boxes and htmlradiolists. I've
    > contacted Segue support only to be told that "We've
    > create a case-id and a support rep will get to you
    > soon" but it's been more than a week and they still
    > haven't contacted me!
    >
    > I'm hoping that by posting here along with you,
    > other's will take more notice of this problem. Who
    > knows, maybe Segue people browse these boards.
    >
    > I don't know of a way known to resolve this problem.
    > sorry. If you find a solution. Please let me know.
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > ------------------
    > Dave
    > QA Engineer
    > CareAssured.com
    >
    >
    > Please click the following link to reply:
    > http://www.qaforums.com/boards/ubb/F...ML/000980.html
    >
    >

=====

------------------
    Dave
    QA Engineer
    CareAssured.com
    Dave
    QA Engineer
    CareBid.com

AJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi David,

Are you using the DOM extention?

------------------
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silk 5.0.3.1 bug workaround for control not responding error
    In some cases Silk 5.0.3.1 throws a CONTROL NOT RESPONDING ERROR when a user is trying select an item from an HtmlListBox. Here is a workaround for this Silk Bug:

Agent.SetOption(OPT_VERIFY_RESPONDING, FALSE); //ignore control is not reponding error
    BrowserPage.HtmlListBox.Select(sItem); //incorrectly selects the item before the desired and specified item in the list (Silk bug)
    int iIndex = BrowserPage.HtmlListBox.GetSelIndex(); //Get the index of the item Silk erroneously selected
    BrowserPage.HtmlListBox.Select(iIndex+2); //add 2 to the iIndex and select the item via the item index. This will correctly select the original, desired item from the list.

Html Table trouble and lack of object recognition workaround
    Use the ShowBorderlessTables domex.ini setting to adjust what Silk recognizes in your web page

ShowBorderlessTables=.0 //ignores tables but recognizes links and html objects within tables
    ShowBorderlessTables=.9 //shows nested table but may not recognize some items within tables

You can adjust this value in the domex.ini file found in your SilkTest\extend directory. This setting defaults to .5. I find the .0 setting seems to recognize html content much better.

HtmlCheckBox and HtmlRadioList dynamic text item content seen as {#1,#2,#3} workaround
    Silk sometimes seems dynamic HtmlRadioList and HtmlCheckBox content as {#1, #2 #3} instead of seeing the actual text caption of the list item.
    If you have dynamic content in your webpage you need to be able to pinpoint items by their text caption. You can do this by
    using the HtmlText object and then use negative coordinates to check the item. you can also use Desktop.GetFocus() to return the the actual object class and use the specific class methods at that point.
    For example:

window w = BrowserPage.HtmlText("Some radio option Text"); //The caption of first item listed in a HtmlRadioList
    w.Click(1,-30,5); //Use negative coordinates to click the actual radio option.
    window wObj = Desktop.GetFocus(); //This will return the window for the radio option or checkbox item. If wObj is a HtmlCheckBox you could then issue a wObj.Uncheck() command.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi All,

Guess what? I'm not using DOM, that's only supported for IE5.x I'm testing against IE4.0. However, I'm shying away from DOM even though it claims to have better object recognition because it doesn't support cross browser testing.

How do you guys do cross browser testing for netscape or ie4.x with your test scripts if you're using DOM? Please enlighten me on the testing strategy that would allow me to enjoy the benefits of DOM and still be able to run the same tests against netscape and ie4.0. I very much want the improved behavior of Silktest with DOM, but I need to be convinced that I'm not going to be making life harder for myself by having to maintain 2 sets of tests. Unless you guys feel DOM is so much better than VOB, that it more than makes up for this limitation, please let me know.

thanks TONY for sharing the workarounds, BUT I think the DOMex.ini file and borderless table(nested table) WORKAROUND ONLY APPLIES TO USING DOM extensions not VOB. Or does this work for VOB also? Or is there a VOBEX.ini file?(I couldn't find one).

The workaround for finding a checkbox or radiolist object on the page using window.click() and desktop.getfocus() is pretty slick, I may have to use it but can this be used with dynamic tag generation in frame files for object declarations?

The workaround for Object not responding errors via Agent.setoption() sounds like a good one. I haven't tried it yet, but definitely will.

Thanks, if this doesn't work, you'll definitely be seeing more posts by me

I look forward to hearing responses to my questions about DOM versus VOB and cross browser testing pros/cons.

kudos to Anthony

------------------
    Dave
    QA Engineer
    CareAssured.com
    Dave
    QA Engineer
    CareBid.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello,

I am the original initiator of this topic. I figured out why Silk failed with the message - control not responding(of course, NOT with the help of Segue's so-called tech support ). It was because in IE, Autocomplete feature was enabled on that second PC. So when Silk enters some number in the textfield, that text field becomes a popuplist-like box and it masks the next field (which is a true Popuplist). So Silk was not able to access that control. AutoComplete can be set in IE5.x-> Tools -> Internet Options -> Content -> AutoComplete.

Sam

[This message has been edited by sampath (edited 09-01-2000).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi Sam,

thanks for getting back to us all on the matter. So that was the solution to your particular instance. In most cases, I'm sure, its a combination of browser behavior and SilkTest behavior. But I too have always turned off autocomplete because I just personally don't like it, and yet I still have had these object not responding problems. Even if the control is no where near a popuplist or textfield. For example a radiobutton.
    Dave
    QA Engineer
    CareBid.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the past (Silk 2.1.4 - 5.0) I have always found these problems with VO and IE 4 to be related to timing. I can't give you an exact answer on timing because it varies so much from machine to machine, but here are some sugestions: Change the appready timeout to about 30 seconds, change the Appready retry value to somewhere between .1 and .5. Change the Window retry timeout to 30 seconds. Change the window ready retry interval to between .1 and .001. Change the keyboard event delay to .001.

I think what happens is that sometimes the agent gets hung when it is trying to retry something and eventualy will fail saying that it can't find the object. My personal feeing is that you are better off slowing down the retry interval for the application, and speeding up the retry interval for window ready.

Another thing I have found that will help is to create a function to wait for the mouse pointer to change from whatever (usually APPSTARTING)to anything else before selecting, verifying or clicking on a particularly difficult object, they almost always turn out to be Radio Buttons Checkboxes or Drop down lists.

here is my function:
    code:
    [-] hidecalls VOID _WaitCursor (STRING sCursorType)
    [ ] /************************************************** *****************/
    [ ] /* Description */
    [ ] /* *********** */
    [ ] /*This function waits while the cursor is in a particular state. */
    [ ] /*Pass the cursor type you want to wait durring to thew function */
    [ ] /*from the testscript. The function will spin and wait for the */
    [ ] /*cursor to change from that type. type for the CURSOR class can */
    [ ] /*be found in the 4Test reference. */
    [ ] /************************************************** *****************/
    [ ] sleep (1)
    [ ] CURSOR CurType
    [ ] CurType = Cursor.GetType ()
    [-] while (CurType == "{sCursorType}")
    [ ] CurType = Cursor.GetType ()
    [ ]
    [ ]
    [ ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes it helps to use TypeKeys() method.
    Instead of HtmlPopupList.Select("California")
    I used HtmlPopupList.TypeKeys("<c>")
    Hope it helps.

------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast