User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Delphi app and SilkTest

Hi,

I'm evaluating SilkTest for testing an application built with Delphi. Everything's going pretty well, except for StaticText. Turns out that Delphi has two ways of putting text on a dialog: TLabel which has no handle & TStaticText which does. Unfortunately, most of our textfield labels and text messages are TLabels, which SilkTest does not see by default.

I'm preparing to do international testing, so it's important to be able to verify static text.

Has anyone solved this problem?

Thanks.

-monica

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Delphi app and SilkTest

What you're seeing is correct. Your best bet is to explore the possibility of having your developers use the type of control that you can manipulate with Silk.

BTW, none of the other automation tools will be able to see text without a handle either, so don't let development put it back on Silk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

if you have the sources of the Delphi application available and use a higher version of Delphi (one that includes the VCL sources), you can patch inside of delphi, change the definition of the TStaticText components, then recompile your application.
    This will result in a complete solution for the problem (with the plus to not have to change something inside your application), but its not that low on efford.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Components without windows handles like Delphi's TLabel and TSpeedButtons are a problem for all automated test tools. However, some tools like WinRunner and AQTest provide add-in units that you can compile into the application under test that will make it an "open application". To my knowledge Seque does not provide such an add-on for Silk. With an open application you can then access (directly or indirectly) any VCL component and all published properties. Bring the issue up with Seque, let them know there is a market demand for such an add-in.
    Tweaking the VCL or even the application to any degree is NOT recommended and I would never do such a thing. The WinRunner and QATest add-ins do not require any code changes. Just adding the unit to the uses clause of the applications DPR file. Your Delphi programmers will understand this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just thought of another approach that may work, but I haven't actually tried it. Your programmers may be able to create their own add-in. What they would do is create a windowed component (or pair of windowed components) that makes use of two string properties that Silk can access. The first property holds the path.name.property of the target component and the second holds a text representation of the value of that property. Setting the second property would change the value under question. You can then do something like:
    MyApp.SilkTarget.SetText("Form1.NameLabel.Caption" );
    sText = MyApp.SilkValue.GetText;
    where setting the text on the SilkTarget component causes it to use Delphi's RTTI (Run-time Type Information) to get the specificed value and place in in the SilkValue component. This would require the component to be on added somewhere in the project but not source code changes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I implemented my idea and, with some tweaking, it seems to work. I placed everything on: http://www.magic2go.com/delphi/autom...g/opentest.htm

I offering it at no charge but since you inspired it Monica, I'll give you 50% off. <g>

--Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Greg,
    I'm interested in your idea but I the url you gave doesn't work for me. can you actualize it?
    Thanks
    Seretta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry dude....he hasn't been on the site in almost 4 years now. Requests have been send but I think that he's moved on now.