SPONSORS:

User Tag List

\"Control Not Repsoning\" Errors

After upgrading from SilkTest 5.02 to 5.03, I noticed that we are getting many more "Control Not Responding" errors. These errors can sometimes be reproduced and seem to happen more often during long-running tests. I am curious if anyone has had this problem or has any suggestions for getting around the error. Here are more specifics on when it occurs:

-It almost exclusively occurs when selecting items in either a list box or or treeview control. The controls are standard.
    -It happens much more often on Windows 2000, but also occurs on NT and Win98SE.
    -It did not occur as much on version 5.02.
    -Catching the exception and retrying (many times) does not help. The error keeps appearing.

One idea I had (but have not tried yet) is to slow down the execution of the script for methods relating to these controls.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: \"Control Not Repsoning\" Errors

I had this happen to a listbox that was near the bottom of the window. What I did was changed the resolution of my monitor to a higher resolution (1024x768). The problem went away after I did that. I was testing in 800x600.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You didn't mention anything about your AUT. Is it a browser app or Java or some other development environment?

I too have noticed a higher occurrence of these errors recently but I can't necessarily say it's Silk. My AUT is a clietn app written in Java. When we upgraded from Silk 5.0.2 to 5.0.3.1 we also upgraded JDK from 1.2.2 to 1.3. Note that Java in general is very well-known to have memory mgmt issues and I have found memory leaks in JDK 1.2.2 which appear to be better on JDK 1.3.

The approach I take is to not run my AUT for very long without restarting my AUT. My tests all run from a test plan. Wherever I want to restart my AUT I just insert a step in th test plan to close my AUT then I let the BaseState of the next testcase start the AUT again. Being that my purpose of testing is regression of functionality, this does not provide a high level of rish to my project.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pcostigan:
    You didn't mention anything about your AUT. Is it a browser app or Java or some other development environment?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The app is written in MS Visual C++. No browsers, no web, no java...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have been seeing the same problem with some controls (checkboxes have been particulary bothersome) where the object will be manipulated and SilkTest will generate a "Control Not Responding" error. This also seems to happen in larger tables.
    Segue support has been unable to provide assistance, The issue has been reported to Segue Support for quite a while with no response. I have tried do/except clauses, resolution changes, playback speed changes and nothing helps. Is there anything else I can try?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's an older posting on this forum that is very related to this topic. The title of it is "Error: Control is not Responding". it was initiated 8/25/00 by user "sampath". As of seconds ago it was last updated on 9/5/00 and was listed about 18 postings after the one I'm replying to. Here's the direct link to it: http://www.qaforums.com/boards/ubb/F...ML/000980.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I first experienced the problem with "Control is not Responding" some years ago with a C++ application where it was a false error. That is, the method, Select(), worked but the control still timed out. I worked around this by simply using a do...except statement.

I ran up against this again with a browser app using HtmlPopupList and HtmlTextField controls. After much trial-and-error, I changed the tags of all HtmlPopupList and HtmlTextField controls from multitags using the Caption and Window ID forms to simple tags using only the Index form. Prior to entering data, I issue a Click() method on the page to remove the focus from the first input field. If the first input field was an HtmlTextField, then the SetText() method would fail. I also found problems with the Agent option: "Automatically scroll window into view" when an HtmlPopupList was on the visible border of the page. It seemed that scrolling would occur AFTER the control was first accessed. My workaround consists of issuing a ScrollIntoView () method instead of using the agent option mentioned previously. The following is a code snippet from my populate window function:

[ ] Agent.SetOption (OPT_SCROLL_INTO_VIEW,
    FALSE)
    [ ]

[-] do
    [ ] WinObj.ScrollIntoView ()
    [ ] iIndex = WinObj.FindItem (sData)
    [-] if (iIndex > 0)
    [ ] WinObj.Select (iIndex)
    [-] if (WinObj.GetSelText () != sData)
    [ ] LogError ("*--> Contents of
    {WinObj} not equal to {sData}")
    [ ] bPass = FALSE