SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Data-driven tests using XML

Has anyone tried storing the data needed for a data-driven testcase in an XML file? Almost all of our tests are data-driven, and the data is stored in SilkTest record format in a plain text file (e.g. {"data1","data2"}).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Data-driven tests using XML

I have thought about writting a DLL for doing XML parsing using 4Test. But, have never gotten the time and don't have the real need to use it yet. I was planning to use Visual Basic to make the DLL. There are some XML parsing and creation routines for Visual Basic, so once that is done, it is just making a 4Test interface for it.

Now who is going to make this thing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what would be real nice is if support for COM in general were added to Silk. That way, one could use msxml.dll and tap directly into the xml document object model without going through VB or C++.

I had an interest in doing this also, but no time to volunteer. any takers?

------------------
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>It doesn't matter if I go to heaven or to hell, I have friends in both places.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    <BLOCKQUOTE]<font size=1 face=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]quote:</font]<HR]It doesn't matter if I go to heaven or to hell, I have friends in both places.<HR]</BLOCKQUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In case you are interested in an XML parser and document generator, attached is an include file that I wrote. It is written completely in the 4test language and is based on an article that I downloaded from Segue(Even More on 4Test Constructors, Destructors, and Inheritance by John F. Sefler). I have not fully tested it and it also is very SLOW for large files. The speed may or may not be due to the way I had to overcome Segue's string limitation and probably because it is not written in C like the rest of the app, but please feel free to modify as you see fit. Also, there some funky kirks sometimes with adding an element to an element and then to another element. In practice, however, the parser and document generation appear to work. We have been using this to create our own XML results messaging.

[This message has been edited by jjcantri (edited 03-20-2001).]

[This message has been edited by jjcantri (edited 03-21-2001).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to see this but am unable to download it. Is there a trick?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try this one. One other note, the parser only works if the file is one continuous string

[This message has been edited by jjcantri (edited 03-23-2001).]