Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

How to let silktest continue while screen is down

Can anyone please help solve following queswtions?

1. If my computer screen sleeps (say the screen goes dark to save the electricity or I mannuly turn off the screen power) or the screen protecting program runs, silktest will stop testing. I have to keep my screen on and turn off the screen protecting program to make silktest test continuously. Is there any way to make silktest work even if I turn off the screen?

2. My testing machine locates far away from me and I want to monitor silktest testing progress just in case silktest somtimes hangs and fails to recover. Now I use remote desk controll to view the testing machine. However if I miniize the remote control desktop window, silktest stops running. For current solution, I have to resize the remote control window to be small and keep it on top of any other application windows. In this way silktest conitinues testing but it is not convenient. Is there any other ways to make silktest conitinue testing even if I minimize the remote control window?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: How to let silktest continue while screen is down

Hi Dilys,

This happens because SilkTest cannot bring the application to focus(from my knowledge, correct me if I'm wrong).

For remote dektop connection, you can use VNC viewer, even if you minimize or disconnect the machine, the test will run through, still dont know the difference between VNC and remote desktop connection.

The second problem is a concern for almost all the automation tools, if you minimize or close your remote desktop sessions while the test is in progress, the test fails.

Another thing I have noticed with SilkTest was, if I do a remote cdesktop connection to the machine where the test is being executed, SilkTest stops execution raising an error, "Script aborted By User"!!

Thanks,
    SMP

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: How to let silktest continue while screen is d

1. From my experience, while my SilkTest scripts are running, it keeps the machine 'busy' so the screen savers never kick in. if this is not happening for you, maybe you should disable your screen saver on a machine that is running automation. I have never heard of SilkTest stopping execution just because you turn your monitor off.
    2. Search this forum for 'remote desktop' and you'll find plenty of users complaining about remote desktop and automated tools. They just don't mix. you're best using another 3rd party tools instead of the built-in Windows Remote Desktop.

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

As for turning off the monitor (by pressing the power button), SilkTest WILL continue to run. I do this all the time when I run overnight scripts.
    In terms of RDC (Remote Desktop Connection) I found a "workaround" a while back. You can set up your scripts to run on the remote machine via RDC, then on the Host machine, go to the task manager and terminate RDC session (I forget the executable name). I found out that if you close the RDC session, everything stops, but if it has "crashed" everything continues to work. You can take it one step further and search for a program that will take screen shots and store them in a .bmp file ever x minutes and store them on a network share. That way you'll always know where you are at.
    Your other alternative is to use VNC as SMP said.

Hope this helps

dimaj

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thank you very much for every body's instant help, [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I tried RealVNC and TightVNC and they both solved the problem, [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But I met a strange thing was that I had to keep the remote desktop open and unminimized and then use the VNC, or the VNC window will be black or the screen can not work. Not sure why. But anyway now I can minimize the VNC window and do not have to keep remote destop or VNC window on top of all other windows to make silktest work, and that helps solve my problem. The only drawback is just to open a redundent remote desktop window unminimized.

As to the screen shutdown problem, I think this may also relate to remote destop because actually it happened to my machine that remote controlling the silktest machine.

dimaj's workaround looks complicated and I did not give a try :P