SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Data Driven Link question

I am updating my cases from the playback/record method, to the data driven type. I have most of it working except:

We have a window on our site that has 30 or so links. Each of the links is captured/named correctly in my .inc file. I am trying to hit each link, without coding in the name of the link. I want Silk to select the Link below but can't get it to work:

Playback/Record method:

Appliances.SetActive ()
    Appliances.RentalEquipmentLink.Click ()

Here is what I have tried:
    declared sCurrentLink as a STRING
    set sCurrentLink = RentalEquipmentLink in my data record

Appliances.SetActive ()
    Appliances.HtmlLink (Data.sCurrentLink).Click()

When I run the case Silk doesn't find the link, it looks for "htmlLink"RentalEquipmentLink

How do I get that HtmlLink out of there, without causing a syntax error.

I'm not much of a programmer and this is new stuff to me, any kind of help would be appreciated!!

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Data Driven Link question

You can use the reference operator @. This will refer to the variable indirectly. You can do this with the following....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have found that once you start down this path it will end up easier if you actually refer to the links (or other controls) in your window declaration by name:
    Appliances.RentalEquipmentLink.Click()
    Appliances.SomeOtherLink.Click()
    etc.

If you do find some need to refer to the controls on an ad-hoc basis without going by their declared name, then you need to specify the tag you are looking for like this:
    Appliances.HtmlLink["Rental Equipment"].Click
    or set your string sCurrentLink to "Rental Equipment" or whatever the appropriate tag for the link should be, and use:
    Appliances.HtmlLink[sCurrentLink].Click

The problem with referring to your controls/windows like this is that if the tag changes (as they do, unless you have the nicest development system in the world), then you have to change your scripts; if you refer to the controls/windows by their declared name, then you can just change the tag once in the window declaration and all the scripts will work with this change automatically.

Then again, you appear to be doing something I haven't seen before, with your string sCurrentLink being defined separately from where it is used. If you are doing something like keeping a list of strings, which correspond to their htmllink's tags, and you have a script which cycles through this list, setting sCurrentLink to each different string in turn, then you are effectively doing something very similar in substance to the tag system, and you could use that just as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The example I gave above actually refers to the link as it appears in your window declaration. You can modify the tags in your window declaration and this will work the same way. The following sections do exactly the same thing.
    You could use a list of strings that refer to all the links on the page as they are appear in your window declarations and progress through them.